Editorial: University of Illinois reveals racism, sexism

Sunday night, students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign turned to racist, sexist and threatening remarks aimed at Chancellor Phyllis Wise over their disappointment at the lack of a snow day.
This behavior will not be met with disciplinary action from the university, but it raises important questions. Why is racism, sexism and threats of violence an acceptable response to not getting a snow day?
Not all University of Illinois students felt that this was an appropriate reaction, but enough of them participated in or encouraged the behavior that it made national headlines.
The culture of privilege that these students live in can not be allowed to continue unchecked.
Here at Augustana, we did have a snow day on Monday. Yet while students relaxed at home or in their residence halls, custodians, CSL employees and other “essential staff” had to report to work.
Many of these employees had long walks or rides via public transportation to get to work in the same weather that was deemed too dangerous for students to attend class.
It is important for all students, at the University of Illinois or elsewhere, to remember that we are here for an education, not a snow day. Disappointment doesn’t justify such immaturity.