Guest column: Hours change, tradition stays

Since 1908, Greek Life at Augustana College has brought students together from near and far. For the past 100 years, the groups have grown, and hold a 98% retention rate of their members.
In recent years, we have seen the college cut back on pledging hours so that it is easier for students to balance academics with pledging and other activities they are involved in on campus.
This year, the college has come up with 115 hours as the time that the average student spends on academics per term, with class, studying and homework.
With that being said, pledging will still be five weeks; however the hours have been adjusted.
Pledge actives during the week will be 10 hours. Monday through Thursday, and 10 hours split between Friday and Saturday, with no pledging on Sunday.
The Greek community realizes that academics come first, because without Augie we would not have our groups to begin with.  While this cut back on pledging hours may make it difficult, all of the groups are still very excited for the recruitment process to begin.
With over 200 students signed up at the Greek Life recruitment table, all of the Greek groups are eager for winter to arrive and hope that the new students are just as excited as we all are!
Greek Life offers Augie students the opportunity to find their home away from home, a place where you can be yourself, make friendships that will last a lifetime, and gain experience in leadership, philanthropy and scholarship.
While all of the Greek groups may be different, we all stand together and encourage students to give Greek Life a try.
Anyone that is interested please be sure to come to the Recruitment Rally on January 18th to learn more about Greek Life!
Loconsole is the PR Chair on Augustana’s Greek Council.