OMSL Becomes OSID with new Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion

The start of a new school year brings changes within the Office of Multicultural Student Life (OMSL) as it becomes the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity (OSID).
In the middle of last year’s Spring term, Augustana administration added a new position: Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Dr. Monica Smith has since filled that role and it is with her new position that this change has come about. “We wanted a name to be more reflective of the vision moving forward for the office,” Michael Rogers, Director of Student Inclusion and Diversity said.
With the change of the name from OMSL to OSID also comes a change of vision for the office. According to Rogers, the OSID plans to move towards programming for all identities and not just focus on race and ethnicity. “We hope that the new name will clearly communicate that we welcome all to our programming events and that we want to impact the entire campus community,” Rogers said.
As the Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Dr. Monica Smith has been making other changes within the OSID. “Michael Rogers was appointed Director [and] had long been serving in this capacity but did not have the title that legitimized the work he was already doing. Ashley Allen joined the office this summer as Assistant Director,” Smith said.
Smith has already brought a change that is going to impact the campus with OMSL becoming the OSID, and is looking forward to what other changes can be made as well. “I am glad to join Augustana as we continue to be intentional about embracing the diversity that exists within our campus community,” Smith said, “I look forward to working closely with staff, faculty and students to create an environment where all of us feel similar sense of belonging.”
The OSID is keeping some things the same as they will continue to have student workers. Nicholas Martinez, Senior and Program Coordinator for the OSID, and Jason Jung, Senior and Head Graphic Designer for OSID, both spoke of some of their hopes for OSID in this coming year. “I think with OSID, just creating a more inclusive campus so everyone is welcome and really having a good time learning about different aspects of social justice and other important things in society that can make people more aware of what they do and what they say and different things,” said Martinez. “Just growing the office a little bit and getting more students involved,” Jung said.
One new thing the OSID will be bringing to the Augustana Campus is a newsletter, The Plug. The newsletter will include information about upcoming events that the OSID and other offices related will be hosting. One of these includes a conversation series. The second one in the series will be held Wednesday September 26 at 6 p.m. in Evald 17 and 18. This conversation is titled “Race and Romance: A Dialogue About Interracial Dating.”
Students can get a chance to meet and talk more with Dr. Smith on October 18th for DiversiTEA. The event will be held in the Brew from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and student are encouraged to BYOT (Bring Your Own Tea).