5 percent of incoming class from 15 countries

Exchange student Mai Shiromaru of Japan sits at an International Club meeting. There are over 50 new international students this year at Augustana. Photo by Hoang Nguyen.

Exchange student Mai Shiromaru of Japan sits at an International Club meeting. There are over 50 new international students this year at Augustana.
Photo by Hoang Nguyen.

This year, Augustana has enrolled 54 new international students, making up 5% of the incoming class. Last year, 39 new international students enrolled, compared to the previous year, which brought in 20 international students.
Out of the 54 students, 17 are non-degree seeking and will be on campus for a year or less. There are 15 countries represented this year, compared to 24 countries last year.
“The increase of international students is bringing diversity of the global world that we live in,” said Patricia Santoyo-Marin, director of the Office of Multicultural Student Life. “It’s providing experiences for not only international students, but experiences and awareness for our U.S. students as well.”
For many international students, Augustana provides a balance of city life and the small town feel of the Midwest.
“It’s especially nice that these students are here in the Midwest versus in Los Angeles or New York,” said Jane Tiedge, international student life coordinator. “They are getting a taste and feel of American culture outside of the large metropolitan U.S. cities.”
While the majority of the incoming international students are degree-seeking, 31% will only be at Augustana for a year or less. Augustana has exchange programs allowing students the chance to experience the study abroad experience for one term up to a full year. They are offered scholarship opportunities in certain cases.
“We have Swedish students who have applied for scholarships and grants through the Swedish American Foundation and they’re here for a full year,” said Tiedge. “Sometimes it’s a gap year for students. They want the experience but aren’t necessarily interested in getting the degree.”
Christopher Wilson, an international student from the U.K., said being on a college campus is a new and beneficial experience.
“It has made me more aware of cultural differences between the U.K. and the United States, even though the two countries are quite closely associated,” said Wilson. “I think it will continue to benefit me because it will enable me to see things from an American point of view in the future.”
However, essentially moving to a new country can be an adjustment, as Wilson relates.
“The difference is that for breaks and long weekends I can’t go home,” said Wilson. “A big difference is that because of the time difference I can’t speak to anyone back home in the evenings, which can make it a bit lonely, but it’s fine because it gives me a chance to spend time with people on campus.”
Santoyo-Marin said the increase of international students brings increased diversity.
“Diversity on campus is really an umbrella for many different things. Under this diversity we now have international and U.S. diversity, so we are collaborating and having this diversity represented on campus,” said Santoya-Marin. “Some of the U.S. students might actually have heritage that stems from where the international students are from so we bridge that and better understand the social constructs of our identities.”
“No matter what your major or future career is going to be, I can guarantee that you will work with someone of diversity or an international background,” said Tiedge. “College is the time to get these experiences and Augustana can provide that for students.”