Open forum brings to light concerns over recent discrimination incidents

Students, faculty and staff met in Centennial Hall this morning to discuss recent events concerning discrimination against select students and student groups on campus.
The incidents include a derogatory message written in a residence hall bathroom, a demeaning picture, the Right to Life flags being knocked down and the use of a confederate flag to threaten students.
Dean Pareena Lawrence, Dean Evelyn Campbell, Assistant Professor of Sociology Paul Croll, Theatre Arts Professor Jennifer Popple and Director of Residential Life Christina Lorge-Grover led the discussion. Director of Multicultural Student Life Patricia Santoyo-Marin, Student Government Association president Cameron Onumah and SGA vice president elect Megan Funke also helped lead the forum. These administrators, faculty and students all spoke about the Augustana community’s reactions and plans to move forward after said events. The floor was then open to all in attendance.
About 100 faculty, staff and students attended the forum. The meeting brought a call to action for the campus.
Assistant Professor of Art Vickie Phipps is developing a pledge that students and faculty will be able to sign, stating  they will not stand for such discriminatory actions.