Editorial: Athletic success puts spotlight on student athletes

The Observer would like to congratulate the Augustana athletic program on its combined success this past weekend.
Six Augustana athletic teams combined to go 11-2 in action on Saturday and Sunday. These teams include men’s tennis (2-0), softball (3-1), baseball (3-0), women’s lacrosse (2-0), men’s lacrosse (1-0) and women’s tennis (0-1). The Augustana men’s and women’s track teams also earned second place finishes at meets over the weekend.
While it is common for a single team to enjoy success at an institution, it is rare to find a collective group of teams all having success at the same time. This is a testament to the hard work and dedication of both the players and coaches on the teams.
Five of Augustana’s teams currently in season are all in the top three in their respective conference standings.
The word “student” comes first in the term “student-athlete”. It is not easy to excel in both the student and the athlete portion. Augustana has excelled in both, with a 21% higher six-year graduation rate among student-athletes than the average of Division III institutions.
Men’s tennis did not drop a single match in either of its 9-0 sweeps of North Central and Cornell on Saturday and women’s lacrosse easily dispatched Loras 21-3 on Sunday. This athletic excellence is an asset to our community and our school.