Augie students reflect on Homecoming celebrations

Rho Nu Delta members play fake guitars and sing during the annual homecoming Sing competition. Photo by Brady Johnson.

Last week, the Augustana community united for numerous Homecoming festivities. Alumni returned to the campus and students participated in events such as the third annual Homecoming Games, the talent showcase, the rope pull and Yell competition and the SING competition. Several students who helped organized these events and were also participants spoke to the Observer on their experience of Homecoming Week.
Andrew Thurman, talent show co-chair
What were your thoughts on this year’s talent show?
I was really pleased with this year’s talent show. I thought we had a great turnout from the Augustana community and the audience supported every act equally. It definitely brought the school closer. Our performers were second to none and so easy to work with, not to mention insanely talented.
What do you and your team usually look for when selecting performances?
For the show, this year Haley [Clebanoff] and I really wanted to get a group of diverse talents from making chainsaw noises, to poetry to singing. We wanted a variety of students to be represented and wanted a variety of ages and campus affiliations. We did have to make some cuts for the show which was hard but we were very pleased with the roster we assembled.
Do you feel that there’s more interest in the show from alumni or from current Augie students?
The show is definitely more interesting for current students rather than alumni. First off, the show is on Wednesday night and many alumni are not on campus that early because of work and home life. Additionally, the alumni may not know the students performing and it is always easier to go to a show where you are invested in an act because of a connection with the performer. Finally, the Augie community is so welcoming that students want to support each other so we always have a huge turnout from the students on campus and it overshadows the alumni that do attend.
Do you think Homecoming allows students to briefly escape end-of-term stress and the burden of current events that have the news? Do they need an escape?
I think homecoming allows students to rally around their respective organizations and Augie as a whole and that serves as stress relief and therapy for many students. Being able to take a break from studying and school work to participate in events like Yell or Sing or the talent show allows students to have a release and ultimately I think it helps them in their classes. It also builds the campus community and makes students feel like they have an entire school supporting them and wishing them the best, and they do.

Lauren Krueger, Phi Ro president
How do you balance being involved in Homecoming events with the pressure of the final weeks of term?
Balancing my participation in homecoming events during a time when school is picking up is definitely not a walk in the park, but it is more than doable.  Looking at practices for these events as a break from studying and homework rather than an interruption has helped me balance my time. I also see it as a way to practice balancing my time for my future after Augustana.  It’s all about perspective and dedication.
What do Greek life members gain by participating in Homecoming?
Greek life members gain a new sense of pride in their groups and other groups as well by participating in homecoming.  I see participation in homecoming as a really fun experience where I get to see the members of my group work incredibly hard towards a common goal as well as other groups’ different takes on the events.  Seeing hard work come together is a cool experience that I know I wouldn’t get at a different school that doesn’t do homecoming like Augie. Each year after homecoming, I feel more and more proud of the school I attend, the Greek community I belong to, and the sorority I am in.
If you were coming back to Augie for Homecoming twenty years from now, which event would you look forward to most and why?
Twenty years from now, I would look forward to the Yell competition.  That event is my favorite because each group is doing such a similar activity, but goes in a completely different direction with it every year.  For such a short event, it packs a lot of excitement and pride.

Brittany Hatlestad, Phi Ro vice president
Were you involved in the Yell performance? What was it like to have your chapter be one of the winners?
Yes, I was fortunate enough to be apart of the winning yell performance! It was gratifying to have all our hard work pay off. Each member of the sorority is so busy with all that she is involved in outside of Phi Rho, so Yell gives us the opportunity to spend additional time together. One of my best friends and roommates, Marisa Carioscia, was the Yell chair along with Eleni Metrou, so it was interesting to see the behind-the-scenes aspects, as well!
Homecoming is so loved by Augustana because it gives us the opportunity to support all our current members and celebrate the alum. The Augie community is where it is at today because of the foundation that the past members have laid. Reforming connections and establishing new ones during this weekend reminds us all why we fell in love with Augie in the first place!
I would most look forward to the Alumnae Brunch that Phi Rho organizes for past members of the sorority. This morning, I talked with members of the 1973 pledge class, and it was so inspiring to see how both Phi Rho and Augustana as a whole contributed to their life-long success.

Christine Vincent, Greek Council vice president
How involved have Greek Life organizations been in setting up homecoming?
Greek life is especially involved. When you look at Yell and Sing, most of the groups are Greek Life, and that really helps form greek unity. Events like the talent show can be done as an individual, as well as a group, and I think that’s a good balance.
Do you think this helps with Greek recruitment prior to spring term?
Recruitment is not the intention, but it does give freshman and new students the opportunity to see what it’s like to be in a group at Augustana, whether that’s a greek group or a social group.
Why do you think Homecoming is so beloved by Augie students?
I think it’s a time that allows Augustana students to appreciate the community that we have here, and we have a lot of events where the whole school shows up. It’s a chance to show Augie pride.
What’s your favorite homecoming event?
Sing. I love it because it gives Augustana students a chance to know what it feels like to be on stage. That’s an incredible feeling. I grew up being onstage, and I know that’s not something every kid gets to experience, but through Augustana lots of our student body knows what it’s like to perform and have a round of applause.

Peyton Zylke, Delta Chi president and Samantha Fisher, vice president
Yes, we were both in the YELL performance. Placing first with the Phi Rho’s was a great feeling! It was amazing to see all the hard work payoff. And it is crazy to think how this is the first time Yell has ever had a tie for first place! It shows how tough the competition was this year.
Why do you think Homecoming is so beloved by Augustana students and faculty?
It brings everyone together. Alumni come back, professors become judges, the groups become professional stompers and singers for the night! It’s just a super fun time that creates a campus-wide unity.
.  
Photo Above: Rho Nu Delta members play fake guitars and sing during the annual homecoming Sing competition. Photo by Brady Johnson.