QC community protests travel ban

Over 200 people came out to protest President Donald Trump’s Travel ban on Saturday in front of the Federal Courthouse in Rock Island.

Guest reporter Aerielle Charles contributed to this report.
What started out as a rally against President Donald Trump’s decision on the travel ban from seven Muslim-majority countries, quickly grew into a protest against his other executive decisions as well as a protest on any kind of exclusion based on race, religion and nationality.
The protest began as a Facebook event, with over 260 people agreeing to attend the demonstration in front of the Federal Courthouse in Rock Island. Guest speakers from different community organizations spoke in front of the crowd, and others were able to sing, read poetry or lead a chant in any point of the day.
Members of the community found this rally to be a good opportunity to voice their opinions on the travel ban and President Donald Trump.
“We the people should be able to voice our opinion and this is the only way that the government is going to hear us,” said Mina Dahir of Davenport.
Dahir, as well as other protesters, shared why they were there to protest this specific cause and why they felt this type of protest was necessary.
“This country is in a state of fear and it is getting the best of people. People are losing their humanity and they are forgetting that we are all people,” said Whitney Boaten of Rock Island.
A representative from Cheri Bustos’s office gave a statement on Bustos’s behalf, as she had a prior commitment but still wanted to show her support to the people.
“Know that I am fully engaged in the fight for the future…as a former investigative reporter I’ve been extremely disturbed by the steady stream of false information coming from the President and his administration,” said the representative.
Augustana students also joined in on the demonstrations to stand in solidarity with their professors and voice their opinions on the matter.

Augustana first year Mikaylo Kelly gets on top of a tree to show off his sign amidst the protest on Saturday, Feb. 4.

“I don’t support the travel ban or what Trump does,” said McKee Jackson, a senior at Augustana. “We’re here to resist and show our support for those who are immigrants and refugees.”
Jackson said one of her professors comes from Bangladesh and a few students were trying to travel to India with her over the summer, but the fear of her not being able to come back into the country is still present.
Senior Derrick McLean spoke about his immigrant father and the struggles his father had to face while traveling, and he came out to show his support for others feeling confused and isolated at this time.
The Department of Homeland Security put a suspension on the immigration ban on Saturday and will resume regular procedures as it has before the signing. Federal Judge James Robart, from Washington, has also temporarily suspended the execution of President Trump’s orders, which has lead to a set back into the White House’s administrative plans.
“It’s great, it just shows how one person is not going to control everything and everyone, every system has a part in the political system and we’re here to come out to show our support,” said McLean.
Organizations like the Quad Cities Alliance for Immigrants and Refugees, Quad Cities Interfaith, different religious leaders, as well as professors from Augustana College, Black Hawk College and St. Ambrose University were present at the demonstration.
Boaten also mentioned that everyone here, has a right to be here.
“I think protesting is necessary because people need to learn that they are not alone and that they have other people supporting them in this. There is no reason to be afraid,” said Boaten.
Xixuan Collins, of Bettendorf Iowa, came up to the podium and admitted to the crowd that the last time she protested was as a college student back in China for the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989. She felt it was important to come out today and called on everyone to talk with their senators to voice their concerns.
One of the key themes throughout the protest was the sense of unity as a country and to stand together. Members during the protest spoke to this as a necessity in the world during this time.
“The more we unite and stand together, the stronger we are going to be. We need to keep working together, voicing our opinions and standing together,” said Boaten.