Students "clown hunt" overnight after report of clown on campus

Sophomores Jake Stewart and Drake Stern participated in the Clown Hunt on Tuesday Oct. 4. They were just two of upwards of 30 students who were out an about along the Slough Path just after midnight. (Photo by: Alex Halterman)
Sophomores Jake Stewart and Drake Stern participated in the “Clown Hunt” on Tuesday Oct. 4. They were just two of upwards of 30 students who were out an about along the Slough Path just after midnight. (Photo by: Alex Halterman)

Update 11:14 a.m. The office of Public Safety has given a statement: “We don’t want people in packs looking for the clown. Go about your normal life, and just be aware, and if you see something call our office and let our officers respond.” said Chief of Augustana Public Safety and Police Tom Phillis.
Update 11:04 a.m. –  The Dean of Students office has just informed the campus that “between the hours of 11:30 p.m. on Oct. 3 and 2:45 a.m. on Oct. 4, Augustana Public Safety/Police were notified of multiple sightings of an individual in a clown costume.  This individual was reported to have been banging on the outside windows of the first floor at Erickson Hall and Westerlin Residence Center. ”
According to the email alert, The Rock Island Police department was notified and are investigating. The Observer has reached out to the Rock Island Police Department but the department has not given a response yet.
————————————————————-
Groups of Augustana students were out and about after Midnight on Tuesday, Oct. 4, searching for clowns after reports of one on campus disturbing students by knocking on windows.
“There were reports on campus of a clown, but none of those reports have been verified,” said a dispatcher at the Public Safety office just after 1 a.m. on Tuesday.
Still, groups of students could be seen into the very early hours of the morning searching the campus for the reported clowns. In recent weeks, people dressed as clowns and causing disturbances have been reported on college campuses across the country. Some reports have been true. Some have been hoaxes.

Sophomores Jake Stewart and Drake Stern participated in the "Clown Hunt" on Tuesday Oct. 4. They were just two of upwards of 30 students who were out an about along the Slough Path just after midnight. (Photo by: Alex Halterman)
Sophomores Jake Stewart (left) and Drake Stern (right)  participated in the “Clown Hunt” on Tuesday Oct. 4. They were just two of upwards of 30 students who were out an about along the Slough Path on campus just after midnight.  (Photo by: Alex Halterman, Observer staff.)

The Observer reached out to the office of Public Safety for further comment, but the office has not gotten back to us at this time.
Some students armed themselves with baseball bats, knives, pepper spray and sticks after at least one clown was reported to Public Safety on campus.
The college’s social conduct policy states that “on-campus possession, use or distribution of weapons including firearms, pellet guns, air rifles, bows and arrows, and knives exceeding 3 inches in blade length OR any fixed blade knife” are prohibited.
“Throughout the night the only way to get information on what was going on was by talking in multiple group chats and just sharing different information when you got it.” said senior Alexis Downey, who expressed feeling uninformed via Facebook. “There was little warning to anyone and if the clowns are a real threat then they aren’t keeping people safe.”
These hunts are taking place after several stories began to occur popping up on social media locally on Monday. The “Killer Clowns” hoax has been sweeping the nation for more than week now, after several stories have been shared of clowns luring, abducting and even murdering children.
(Read an article about the Hoax by Rolling Stone here: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/killer-clowns-inside-the-terrifying-hoax-sweeping-america-w442649)
More common and credible are stories of pranks, hoaxes and creepy encounters taking place in many communities across the country.
These viral posts have forced college campuses and community schools across the nation to respond to instances of “clown threats” and other situations.
“It’s creepy, but its also fun to see everyone running around like this” said junior Christopher Wilson. “Its so weird how social media was able to [bring everyone out].”
While most students believe the clown situation is a joke or a prank, many others say they are being more aware when walking around at night.
ACES remains the safest way, as always, to get around after nightfall on Augustana’s Campus, the driving service is open 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. every night. Students are advised to always walk in groups.
This is a developing story, check back for updates.