SGA hosts presidential debate

Linnea Ritchie Junior SGA presidential candidate Peter Siepiora (above) and junior SGA presidential candidate David Sommers discuss their platforms during the SGA presidential debate Monday.

Linnea Ritchie Junior SGA Presidential Candidate Peter Siepiora (above) discusses his platform during the SGA presidential debate Monday.
Linnea Ritchie
Junior SGA Presidential Candidate Peter Siepiora (above) discusses his platform during the SGA presidential debate Monday.

Linnea Ritchie Junior SGA presidential candidate David Sommers discusses his platforms during the SGA presidential debate Monday.
Linnea Ritchie
Junior SGA presidential candidate David Sommers discusses his platforms during the SGA presidential debate Monday.

The Student Government Association (SGA) presidential debate was held Monday night, with candidates David Sommers and Jackie Jastrzebski on one ticket and Peter Siepiora and Danica Gray on the other.
The debate brought many campus issues to the forefront and had both candidates highlighting the importance of unity and safety on campus.
“We need to listen to the students,” Sommers said. “We need to make sure the students are safe and comfortable.”
Sommers and Jastrzebski are currently on SGA, Sommers is the secretary and Jastrzebski is a junior senator.
Siepiora is not on SGA, but his running mate is. Gray is currently serving as a junior senator.
“I believe I am qualified for SGA President because I have never been in SGA,” Siepiora said. “I have an outside perspective, and I realized that change wasn’t happening fast enough for me. I feel like the student body has a lack of support from our government.”
One of the most important issue that was touched on by both campaigns was the issue of safety on campus. Both candidates expressed passion for the subject.
“Our college has made many strides this year on sexual assault,” Jastrzebski said. “I believe we have won many battles here at Augustana, but keep up the war against sexual assault. We need to make sure that all students are held accountable.”
Siepiora and Gray feel just as strongly about the matter.
“Sexual assault shouldn’t be happening on campus,” Siepiora said.
“Students need to feel comfortable,” Gray said.
Another heavy issue that was brought up was the alcohol policies that have been put into place on campus.
“The alcohol crackdown was a necessity to discipline,” Siepiora said. “We need to be reminded that there is a responsibility that comes with drinking.
Sommers said he wants to understand the students’ frustration about the issue.
“I want to articulate the frustration and allow students to fully understand the consequences of their actions,” Sommers said. “If X happens, then Y will be the cause.”
One critique of the Benson/Funke administration, who are the current SGA president and vice president, was their lack of budgeting when it came to contingencies of different groups on campus.
Siepiora said he would like to make a budget and that he believes in long term planning with the hopes that the money will not dwindle. He said there should be a budget plan for each term.
“SGA is invisible to campus. It is seen as a bank,” Siepiora said.
Sommers plans are a little different. He believes that the student groups need to be educated on fundraising opportunities. He also believes that the SGA Senate needs to be informed on what the different groups can offer to campus.
“We need to educate students to raise money themselves,” said Sommers.
A key issue for both parties was unity within the Augustana community.
The Sommers/Jastrezbski campaign has been criticized for being a part of dominant Greek groups on campus, but they assure students that this won’t be an issue.
“We want people to feel comfortable with their own voice,” Jastrezbski said. “Being part of a Greek group is such a small part of us. We have always been leaders and we have always been passionate about SGA.”
Siepiora said he believes he will be stronger at advocating unity within campus because he is not in a Greek group, but his running mate is.
“I chose Danica because she has a different perspective on the Augustana community than I do,” Siepiora said.
“The student government is not Greek Council,” Gray said. “We need proper representation and diversity.”
Voting for the presidential election will take place on Tuesday, April 7.