New resolution to promote gender inclusiveness

Members of the Augustana faculty constructed a resolution that will allow for more gender inclusiveness on campus on Thursday, with the hope of creating more public discussion and professional development, said Brian Katz, Gay Straight Alliance advisor.
“It is important that the faculty speak up because they have the longest commitment to this institution,” Katz said.
Katz said he is proud of the resolution that the faculty council was able to produce.
“We were able to bring themes that have been discussed around campus and come up with a resolution that fits these discussions,” Katz said.
According to Katz, the first draft of the resolution was brought to the faculty council shortly after the New Year.
Keith Johnsen, a transgender first-year student, said they are glad to know there’s faculty support for gender equality on campus.
“Knowing that there are a significant number of professors and faculty on campus, that support me makes me feel safe and comfortable at Augie,” said Johnsen.
Johnsen hopes that the administration adopts an actual change so that students are able to feel safe on campus.
“Augustana, like many colleges, has ignored transgender students on an administrative level, and I sincerely hope that that can change during my four years here, and I intend to try and usher that change,” Johnsen said. “I came to Augie for a liberal arts education, to become a better person, and I want to feel safe and comfortable on campus as I get my degree, and I want every other student to feel the same.”
Dr. Jane Simonsen, a women and gender studies professor, acknowledges the need and importance of this resolution.
“I am glad that the faculty is taking a step forward in creating a self and welcoming environment,” Simonsen said.
Simonsen is also hoping that people will become more informed on the issues, and that because of this the campus climate would be easier to improve.
“Students have to remember that they can’t make assumptions about a person,” Simonsen said. “You encounter people that have a different identity than yours. We need to embrace differences, not diminish them.”
The resolution is as follows:
“We, the faculty, support college policies, infrastructures, and processes that make our campus more inclusive to people of all genders. As college officials make decisions about future projects and programs, we request that they will be mindful of matters such as including the option to use a chosen name for official purposes, use of gendered pronouns, access to gender neutral housing both on campus and in off campus programs, and access to gender neutral restrooms.”