Keeper shuts out four teams

The Augustana women’s soccer team is currently 7-3 this season. Of these wins, junior Meredith Chew has recorded four shutouts and only allowed nine goals on the season.
“My goal is to keep the ball out of the net,” said Chew. “I want to have at least 5 shutouts this season and as a team we want to make it to the national tournament.”
As the team nears the halfway point of  the season, the team is where it wants to be.
“A word to describe the season has to be exhilarating,” said Chew. “We have had a lot of success with only three losses, which should have been wins. We should have a good ending to our season as we learn more and more about who we are as a team.”
With a great season unraveling, there are some difficulties that still face on the team.
“At the beginning it was a difficult because it was a new season with a new team,” said Chew. “We had to adjust to the new freshman coming in and how they play with losing some key players that were graduating seniors from last year.”
Even though it’s a new team, her favorite part about being on the team has never changed.
“I consider ourselves a family,” said Chew. “We always spend our time together on and off the field. Everyone is very friendly and we all get along. I think that’s a part of our success as we have fun and the good chemistry we have.”
This good chemistry is seen on the field during the communication with the girls in front of Chew.
“I have 100% confidence with Meredith behind me,” said junior defender Stef Haymaker. “She is great with back passes, directs us where to go, and saves us countless times! She is such a happy, bubbly person and her personality is contagious. She is also very focused and prepares herself for every game.”
Chew prepares herself for a match by getting her mind right by listening to music to pump her up.
“I just focus on what needs to be done and get ready for the game,” said Chew. “The team as a whole is pretty focused, and we are happy and excited that this has led us to do so well.”
Although soccer is a big part of Chew’s life, she does take time away from the net to do other activities that she enjoys and live out her life as a college student. She is involved in other organizations on campus like the Greek group Phi Rho, and is a tutor for Opportunity Kids where refugee students from around the area come to Augustana for homework help.