Preview: Student band to perform original Indie songs

(Left to right) Improbability Drive members John Stenger, Rachel Auton and Brandon Wills perform in the quad last spring during Shantytown. Photo courtesy of Paige Pierson, live on campus co-chair

(Left to right) Improbability Drive members John Stenger, Rachel Auton and Brandon Wills perform in the quad last spring during Shantytown. Photo courtesy of Paige Pierson,  live on campus co-chair
(Left to right) Improbability Drive members John Stenger, Rachel Auton and Brandon Wills perform in the quad last spring during Shantytown.
Photo courtesy of Paige Pierson, live on campus co-chair.

The Office of Student Life and Leadership’s Live on Campus series will continue with a performance by the band Improbability Drive, consisting of students John Stenger, Rachel Auton and Brandon Wills.
Improbability Drive will play a set-list of original songs on Friday at 8 p.m. in the Brew, with a style combining Alternative Rock and Indie influences.
“We strive to write songs that are unique and different from each other,” said Wills, bassist, “John hates when every song sounds the same.”
“Some songwriters that I find influential include Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and basically anything played on Q87.7,” Stenger said.
Stenger, guitarist and singer, has played on campus in the past, opening for Rachel Brown last month.
“We had previously asked John and one of his other bands to open for Rachel Brown to get more Augie support, and found out from John that he was involved in various bands,” Live on Campus Co-Chair Paige Pierson said, “So, we asked him to come back since we had such a great student turn-out that evening.”
Stenger met Wills and Auton last fall through a shared advising group and the Emerge program, according to Wills. They all had an interest in music, began practicing together and the band formed.
“We formed the band during the middle of fall term last year and rehearsed in Brandon’s, our bassist, dorm room,” Auton said, “We continue that tradition of rehearsing in our bassist’s dorm room every weekend.”
Since Improbability Drive’s formation, the band has played at Augustana’s Chuckfest and Theo’s Java Club in downtown Rock Island.
“It’s free music,” Stenger said of the upcoming Live on Campus event, “Who doesn’t like to chill with some friends and listen to some music?  If you hate us, leave. If you like us, stay and talk to us after the show, we don’t bite.”