College on the rocks: Alcohol policies stir debates

Augustana College students are generally prohibited from possessing alcohol on the premises. However, like any rule, exceptions exist and current policies allow residents and guests of Transitional Living Areas (TLAs) who are over the age of 21 to possess alcohol. These policies are a balanced approach that respect the rights of students while maintaining a college campus environment. 

While some may argue for a stricter stance on alcohol, I believe that the current policies are fair, and the key lies in consistent implementation.

Augustana’s current policies emphasize education and personal development. Prohibiting alcohol possession in the majority of campus housing ensures that students can focus on their studies without distractions. At the same time, the exceptions for TLAs recognize that college is a time for young adults to learn how to make responsible choices. 

Moreover, these policies acknowledge that not all students are at the same stage of their lives. College is a diverse community with students ranging in age, background and experience. Allowing designated areas where alcohol is permitted ensures that those who wish to avoid it are not forced to live in an environment where alcohol is present.

One exception involves students aged over 21 who reside in dormitories due to their college status. While I empathize with these individuals, it’s crucial to remember that a college student’s primary objective is to pursue education rather than prioritize drinking. For those in this situation, options such as petitioning to live in TLAs or residing off-campus are available and these policies are implemented to maintain the integrity of a well-structured campus environment.

However, the effectiveness of these policies relies on consistent enforcement. The college must ensure all students understand that rules and violations are addressed consistently. This means that the college must invest in educating students about alcohol-related policies and the consequences of breaking them. 

Students are also responsible for adhering to and promoting these rules. As a peer educator, I found that peer education brings people together. Alcohol Awareness workshops are given on demand, and my peers tend to be more attentive to those workshops when I am the one who presents, compared to my supervisor. 

One common argument is that stricter alcohol policies would lead to a safer residential environment. While safety is of utmost importance, an outright ban on alcohol does not necessarily guarantee a safer campus. In fact, it can often have the opposite effect. 

Prohibiting alcohol entirely can make students tempted to consume alcohol secretly, making it more challenging to monitor and control. Students may resort to risky drinking practices off-campus, leading to even greater safety concerns. Partying off-campus is already a big issue, and it would be out of hand if Augustana didn’t contain it.

Augustana’s policies represent a well-rounded approach that promotes responsibility, diversity and a safer college experience. However, the policies are still largely unknown or outright ignored by students. To fully realize its potential, there should be consistent enforcement to ensure a balance between individual freedoms and the well-being of the campus community.