SGA to host international student town hall

The Student Government Association (SGA) will be hosting a town hall event for international students in the Gavle rooms. While the exact date of the event is not set in stone, it’s estimated to take place during the end of October.

President of SGA, senior Rachel Nandelenga, explains what the town hall event is and why its important for students to attend. 

“It’s a town hall vibe where students can come with international students and say their opinions about their experience here,” Nandelenga said.

Organized by SGA’s International Committee, the event is intended to give a voice to international students.  

“We want to make sure students know the resources they have,” Nandelenga said.

Vice President of SGA, junior Amen Bekele, is an international student herself. 

“As an international student, I would have loved to see something like that,” Bekele said.

In preparation for the 2023-2024 school year, SGA recently held their fall elections in September. Welcoming the new senate, SGA represents Augustana’s student body, with all members voted on by students. Acting as a bridge between faculty and students, SGA is a voice for students on campus, intended to meet the student body’s needs.

Consisting of over 40 senators, each SGA senator represents a different division of campus. There are four different senator categories: class, student life, residential life and academics. SGA senators are elected by the student body, and students are encouraged to vote, as well as run for office. 

Senior Alexis Osei-Kofi, the SGA speaker, values student advocacy and stresses its importance to students. 

“Input is very essential,” Osei-Kofi said. “We have a different perspective and a better understanding of what students think.” 

Osei-Kofi entered college in 2020, during the peak of COVID-19. Like many other students, Osei-Kofi felt powerless and alone in the face of a global pandemic. 

“We really lost a voice, I feel,” Osei-Kofi said. “SGA was an opportunity to have my voice again. However, not only have my voice, but advocate for my peers and the other students on campus.” 

Representatives from the student government say they are committed to providing both assistance and guidance to students when it is needed. According to them, it is important that students’ voices are heard and that the student body has representation in the decision making process. 

“It’s important to just be in the rooms,” Osei-Kofi said. 

SGA highly encourages students to get involved and bring SGA any concerns or comments they may have. Some upcoming events that the Student Government Association will be hosting are Therapy Dogs, a tuition breakdown, Trunk or Treat, a BINGO meet and greet and a blood drive.