The Hanson expansion is now open to students

Augustana President, Steven C. Bahls, speaks at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new extension to the Hanson Hall of Sciences at Augustana College on Tuesday, Sept. 3. Photo by Ian Murrin.

On Tuesday, Sept. 3 the addition to Hanson hall of science opened for classes with a celebratory ribbon cutting ceremony. The 22,000 square foot addition has a unique circular design and many new features, such as floor-to-ceiling windows, large classrooms and new technology to enhance students’ learning.
First-year student Hector Lozano attended the ceremony and participated in the ribbon cutting. “It was pretty exciting to be part of it,” he said. As a biology major, he looks forward to learning in the new space.
Dr. Wendy Hilton Morrow, Vice President of Academic Affairs, Provost and Dean of the College, said the expansion is “ideal for flexible learning spaces” and unlike any other building on campus. With movable chairs and tables to facilitate note taking or group discussion, Morrow said “it’s a building that will benefit generations to come.”