Coordinator of Greek Life’s absence doesn’t faze community

Brittany Overstreet, who served as the Assistant Director of Student Life and Coordinator of Greek Life, has made the decision to leave her position due to family reasons. Ken Brill, the Associate Dean and Vice-President of Student Life, Leadership and Engagement, has served as the lead advisor for the Greek Life community all year and will continue to do so in Overstreet’s absence.
Brill has been advising the sorority and fraternity community since the leave of Katey Bignall, the leadership director of Greek Life, last academic year. Dean Campbell, Laura Ford, and Brill are currently working on hiring an interim Assistant Director with the intention of filling the position permanently prior to the next academic year
With Recruitment coming up, Montse Ricossa, the Greek Council president, majoring in MJMC and Spanish, announced that “[Greek Life] is doing well. We can’t get rid of Greek Life. It’s just a matter of making it safer.”
Sober-sister, Sober-brother is a system utilized by Greek life for social events where there must be one sober person per every 10 to 15 intoxicated people.
Ricossa works with Dean Campbell to coordinate how administration, faculty, and Greeks can all maintain a good relationship.  Many other schools have banned Greek Life and at Augustana, that is not the goal.
The Greek council, composed of 14 representatives for each chapter, meets weekly to discuss how to be safer, promote Greek unity, maintain the required GPA and scholastic achievement.
“Advising fraternities and sororities is both rewarding and challenging.  The fraternity and sorority community at Augustana has 14 chapters with more than 1,000 students participating.
The energy surrounding the fraternity and sorority community is contagious. Their outreach into the greater Quad City community is remarkable.  The most challenging aspect is attempting to create a meaningful experience for the students participating. Sorority or fraternity membership is the primary outside the classroom area of involvement for more than 50 percent of the active members. Many members get a chance to hold a leadership position. The frequent changes in leadership, however, requires the advisor to be vigilant when communicating expectations, monitoring activities and mentoring student leaders,” Brill said.
The Greek community intends to partner up with Augie Acres and the Sierra Club for Green Week in Spring term and with SGA to promote alcohol awareness through informational campaigns.