SGA update: Week five

The Student Government Association held their Week five meeting on Thursday, Sept. 22. The new constitution has officially been approved, thus putting two new SGA committees into use, Community Outreach, and Campus Outreach. The new constitution also required the approval of a new contingency form.
The new contingency form was approved by a roll call vote winning the vote at 34 for, zero against, and one abstained.
ALC committee reports a plan for a CORE Viking Score Day that would allow students a day set aside for learning about and updating their Viking Scores.
Public Relations plans their SGA Meet ‘n Greet for week 8. Students should plan to come out and interact with their SGA Executive Board and Senators. PR also has a plan for a social media competition marked by the hashtag #improveAugie to hear out student ideas for how to make Augustana a better community and campus.
Rotating Committee has brought up the idea for an incentive program to get more students on the Dean’s list. Ideas for incentives are gift cards or t-shirts.
Students Activities have collaborated with Sloughfest and are trying to put together a festival or market on the lower quad during Sloughfest. Booths and sellers would line the quad near Olin.
The biodiesel converter plan by Campus Improvements is looking to take longer than expected. Plan could be pushed to the 2017-2018 school year.
New committees Campus Outreach and Community Outreach both plan on helping the upcoming Dance Marathon. Campus Outreach will help with the marathon’s contingency request while Community Outreach will connect with local businesses to find sponsors or donations. Community Outreach also plans on getting more Augie discounts with local businesses with an Augustana ID.
Students are reminded to look for liaison groups and contact SGA members at any time. SGA is also proud of the success of the Free Expression Zone this past week and appreciates the use it has received.