SGA, facilities implement and install more outlets in Brew

Over spring break, the brew acquired several electrical outlets against its three main walls. The Student Government Association (SGA), along with help from Augustana Facilities, implemented a student suggested plan to install the additional electrical outlets with the aim of improving Augustana’s Campus.
The Brew is a hot spot for students, offering a space to hang out, eat, get coffee, or to do homework between classes. However, until recently, there were not many available electrical outlets for student use.
Last term, SGA opened up a suggestion box, along with open senate hours.
“We had open senate office hours. So, senators sat in the brew and anyone could come up to them and give ideas on how to improve Augustana.  One of the ideas was for more outlets in the brew,” said David Sommers, President of SGA.
The open senate hours made Secretary Charlie Bentley aware of students’ interest in adding additional outlets in the Brew. Bentley decided to pursue this student suggestion, and he got in contact with Augustana’s head of facilities, Joe Scifo.
Originally, Scifo wasn’t sure if he would be able to follow through with the additions, but he did figure out a viable option. Due to the way the electrical is set up, Scifo and Bentley decided the best option would be to add outlets to the existing panel against the walls. Extension cords weren’t an option, as they would burn up the electricity in the Brew. So, the decision was made to add more outlets along the 3 walls.
Over spring break, Scifo and the facilities staff worked hard to install the new outlets for Spring Term.
“I am grateful for all the work Joe Scifo and the rest of the facilities team put in to getting this project done over spring break,” said Bentley
With the new additions, there is about one outlet per table along the back and side walls of the brew, in contrast to the outlets that were only available about every other table.
First-year Dalton Howard says, “It makes the selection of seating more available, so I can charge my electronic devices easier before classes.” Dalton, along with many other students, uses The Brew before classes to grab a coffee and charge his phone, laptop, etc. Now, it is easier for students to get a seat with an outlet.
Sommers added that before the renovations there were not many seating options with outlets.
“We were able to convince Joe that this would be a really good idea for students because honestly there’s a lot of use but not a lot of outlets,” said Sommers
Bentley also says that the SGA Campus Improvements Committee is working to implement some additional projects, and he welcomes feedback from the student body and suggestions for projects associated with improving student life here at Augustana.