Day of Self-Care brings emotional health to campus

Senior Eleanor Nolan and Clarissa Thompson, assistant director of student employment and campus internships, strike a few yoga poses on the Quad. Thompson lead a yoga and meditation session for the Day of Self-Care. Photo by LuAnna Gerdemann.
Senior Eleanor Nolan and Clarissa Thompson, assistant director of student employment and campus internships, strike a few yoga poses on the Quad. Thompson lead a yoga and meditation session for the Day of Self-Care.  Photo by LuAnna Gerdemann.
Senior Eleanor Nolan and Clarissa Thompson, assistant director of student employment and campus internships, strike a few yoga poses on the Quad. Thompson lead a yoga and meditation session for the Day of Self-Care.
Photo by LuAnna Gerdemann.

Students gathered to view The Hunting Ground, a documentary focused on sexual assault on U.S. campuses, on Oct. 5. Salon talks, forums, and guest speakers on this topic aren’t new to Augustana’s campus. However, a day of self-care afterwards is.

The viewing, which took place in Hanson Hall, was packed with students.

“It was sitting room only, every seat was taken and people were in the aisles,” said Jessica Nodulman, assistant professor of communication studies. “I was even more pleased that a great group of people stayed to listen to the panel.”

Like the viewing, sexual assault has become a necessary discussion point for campuses all over the country. Project SAVE and other sexual assault awareness groups and initiatives have become more visible on Augustana’s campus as of late.

Sexual assault education, which can trigger emotional responses, doesn’t always provide the proper care afterwards.

“Sometimes there are emotional events that happen in classes or on campus and we might have a discussion and there’s no follow up,” said Nodulman. “Some of these things that we’re talking about, they bring up a lot of intense feelings and we wanted a space where people could debrief from that, relax, and take care of themselves as we process these larger deeper issues.”

Enter senior Eleanor Nolan and Nodulman, who prepared events on Oct. 6 specifically to concentrate on relaxation and comfort, especially for those who attended the viewing and discussion.

“The idea for a self-care day was something I heard about when attending the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders,” said senior Eleanor Nolan. “Dr. Nodulman and I decided to create Augie’s own self-care day in order to give students some outlets to debrief and relax after engaging with the difficult topics of domestic and sexual violence through The Clothesline Project and The Hunting Grounds showing.”

By providing services such as yoga and meditation, students are able to take time to reflect and relax, instead of having to focus solely on academics.

“Students especially need these moments, often they are too wrapped up in getting from A to B to C and probably have no idea what it’s like to not be busy, frantic, or stressed,” said Clarissa Thompson, assistant director of student employment and campus internships.

“College is a time of change and transformation, part of that should be learning at this young age how one can care for themselves by taking time to reflect and move their bodies.”

Thompson, who is a 200 RYT with the Yoga Alliance plans on hosting more campus oriented yoga sessions. Thompson teaches both on and off campus. She is currently an instructor at two studios located in the Quad Cities, Tapas Yoga Shala and Indigo Hot Yoga, both of which are located in Rock Island, according to her website.

“Yoga and meditation are perfect for a day of self-care, the whole concept of yoga is to work on strengthening the mind, body, and spirit,” said Thompson. “Yoga and mediation allow time for stillness; stillness in the body and the mind and the creation of space and flexibility in those spaces.”

Nolan, who participated and planned the events of the day wants to establish a more comforting environment on Augustana’s campus, starting with the Day of Self-Care, which can allow for greater connections and discussions.

“I think initiatives like the Day of Self-Care could help create a more nurturing and positive atmosphere at Augustana, which could lead to strengthening the community and allowing for more people to discuss difficult topics–not just sexual and domestic violence, but any difficult topic,” Nolan said.

With 15 participants overall, the Day of Self-Care hopes to continue to grow and become an integrated part of campus.

The first set of events included yoga and meditation on the Quad, a Tuesday Reflection, and a relaxing tea discussion with members of Project SAVE, Nodulman, a SafePath counselor, and six Viking Pups for support. Nodulman hopes to bring similar events for Symposium Day or other large scale forums or panels.

“I think because we need to remember how important health and wellness is for our student population,” said Nodulman. “We give a lot of important opportunities to be critically engaging our minds, but we need to give time to talk. Having the Viking Pups added some enjoyment and play, and sometimes we forget that too.”

By placing an emphasis on self-care, the day provided relaxation, reflection, and a little dose of fun with the Viking Pups, while also educating students about emotional health.

“I think it’s important for the campus to not only educate people on difficult topics, but also make resources and events available to students so they know it’s okay to take time to process difficult issues and emotions,” said Nolan. “College campuses should focus on intellectual and factual knowledge, as well as emotional understanding and knowledge.”

Chapel_LG
Students, faculty, and staff gather in Ascencion Chapel for a Tuesday Reflection presented by senior Andrew Beveroth. Campus Ministries presents the series every week from 11:30-11:50 am in the chapel, which was included in the Day of Self-Care events. Photo by LuAnna Gerdemann.