Augustana names new Associate Dean of Students

Augustana has appointed a new Associate Dean of Student Life, Laura Schnack, who will be present on campus starting September 14. Mark Anderson, who recently held the position, has chosen to accept another position elsewhere.

Schnack earned her doctorate in Education from Benedictine University, and served as the Associate Dean of Student Life at Knox College since 2013. Schnack is well-qualified to take on the position because of her experience at other institutions, according to Dean of Students Evelyn Campbell.

Campbell stressed that Schnack had the two skills Augustana was looking for: experience and competency.

“(Schnack’s) experience shows that she cares about the success of her students,” said Campbell. “The judicial system here at Augustana will take up to 70 percent of her time. She will need to learn the job, learn the college, how the classes work, and in the end get to know us.”

Campbell has confidence that Schnack will balance her passion for student development, while acclimating to a new campus culture.

The position of Associate Dean of Students refers to the chief student judicial officer for the entire college, which calls for skills in problem solving, and handling any concerns raised by students and their families.

Schnack will be stepping into a role filled by Anderson since 2008. Anderson, served both on and off campus. He was the advisor for the Black Student Union at Augustana for the past few years, as well as a pastor at the Church of God, which has multiple locations in the Quad Cities.

“He always made it a point to tell us about his open door policy,” said junior Cindy Morales.

“I am really sad (about his resignation), and I know a good couple of students who are going to be sad to see him go as well,” said Morales, when informed about Anderson’s departure.