Residential Life looks to fill new director position

The Office of Residential Life and Dean Evelyn Campbell have received about 50 applications from candidates applying for the position as the director of residential life, upon the resignation of Christina Lorge-Grover. The position is expected to be filled by the end of this school year.

Campbell, head of the job search, said that they hope to bring in interviewees within the next four to five weeks.

“We need a leader, someone who can advance the Augustana 2020 plan, and someone with seamless experience” said Campbell in a phone interview.

According to the Augustana College website, where the open position is listed, “The director is responsible for creating an innovative program that supports the mission of the college by offering a safe living environment, providing an array of developmental, educational and social programs for residents, building community, responding to crisis and collaborating with departments across campus to enhance the student experience.”

With these responsibilities comes other tasks, such as overseeing a $1.5 million annual
budget.

Campbell also mentioned the importance in taking the time to find the right match.

“The top priority is competence to do the role required,” said Campbell.

She said they are looking for a person with experience, and the ability to dive in to the agenda, collaborate well and who will fit in with the Augustana community. She also said it is important that the students like the person to takes the position.

Campbell said that 1-2 students will be brought in to participate in the search process.

“We need students to offer feedback as a part of our search committee,” said Campbell.

The candidate will also need to meet with groups of students to get a feel for the campus
community.

In the meantime, the Office of Residential Life assures students that appropriate steps have been taken to maintain the momentum in the ORL, an office that is “always busy.”

“We have a great team in place, so we have kind of all rallied together,” said Alisha Smith, assistant director of residential life.

“There was a great infrastructure built under (Lorge-Grover’s) leadership and we plan to continue that with the team that we have,” said Smith. “We are all making sure that the students are served”

Lorge-Grover could not be contacted at this time.