SGA approves more than $2,000 to four on-campus groups

GA gave $2,035 of their re- maining $12,570 budget last week to four groups on campus, includ- ing the Art History Club, Relay for Life, the Rocky Mountain Ski Club and the National Association for Music Educators (NAfME).
The Art History Club asked for $425 to fund their trip to the Art Institute, but SGA did not agree to fund the trip.
SGA Senator Darien Marion- Burton was a dissenter to the trip. “I don’t feel comfortable grant-
ing money without all the full in- formation on their trip,” he said.
SGA did agree to give the Art History Club $85 for their fund- raisers. One fundraiser is a “blank out,” where members of the club cover up paintings around cam- pus with white paper to raise awareness of the importance of art.
Relay for Life also asked for $300 for their pizza fundraiser, which attributed to the $25,000 raised last year. SGA agreed to give them the $300 with a 24 vote for the measure.
Rocky Mountain Ski Club asked for $900 for a trip to Colorado, which SGA granted in a 15-9 vote.
Lastly, NAfME asked for emer- gency funding for their trip to the Illinois Music Education Associa- tion Conference on Jan. 28, after Augustana’s education depart- ment cut NAfME’s funding. SGA senators agreed to fund the trip in a 25-0 vote.
SGA President Richie Benson was satisfied with the contingen- cies given to the four groups, but looking forward to next week, where Campus Ministries will ask for about $7,000 to $8,000 for their trip to Appalachia.
“It’s one of the last big ones after Habitat for Humanity,” Benson said. “But I don’t fore- see anything big for the next few weeks.”