Roundel Run wraps up 2023-2024 school year

Kayla Hobbs

Roundel Run is a service event this year at Augustana College that advocates for kids with cancer this weekend. Roundel Run is a fundraising event hosted by Rho Nu Delta (Roundel) to raise money for the Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children (CASA). 

This year is the first year that the Roundel Run is taking place, and this event is replacing St. Baldricks, where the Roundels shave their heads for donations.

Sophomore Fernando Munguia is the Roundel service chair and helped plan the event. 

“We wanted to do something where all students can participate, while in the past we did Baldricks, which involves shaving heads,” Munguia said. “We figured more students would participate in an event like this.”

Delta Chi Theta (DChi), a sorority at Augustana, is also helping run the event with the Roundels The DChi’s have promised a donation of 2,000 dollars for CASA. The DChi’s are also running a dunk tank at the run, where attendees can dunk members of the sorority. 

This event is a 5K run or walk in the Lindberg Stadium around the track. The run starts at 11 a.m. 

Sophomore Eulle Casaquite is looking forward to the fundraiser.

“I’m excited for it because it is an amazing opportunity that aligns with not only my fraternity’s values but it also supports and gives to an organization that can make a difference in the world,” Casaquite said. 

Games and food will be provided if people did not want to participate in the run itself, but still want to support CASA and to enjoy the event. 

Some of the other events planned are bags, music, good food, places to get prizes and the Greek fest rope pull. 

So far, the event was able to sell over 100 tickets.

“We decided to do Roundel Run to vary our services to the community and to include other organizations. We are really going for that, interconnected with the other fraternities and sororities.” Munguia said. 

The news about Roundel Run was spread through the brew, social media and the student bulletin. They sold tickets throughout the brew for 15 dollars, which included a t-shirt as a ticket into the event. 

The student bulletin quotes “May 20th, This year for our spring service event, Rho Nu Delta is pleased to announce that we are hosting the first ever Roundel Run, a 5k run/walk fundraiser for CASA. The run will take place on May 20th at 11:00 a.m. on the football field and track.”

“I just would love to encourage people to come,” Munguia said. “We are going to have games, and it is for an awesome cause.”