Fall Visit Day shines a light on current students

Jack Brandt

On Saturday, Oct. 8, more than 600 people including around 130 prospective students visited Augustana as part of its Fall Visit Day. Speakers, student panels, a campus tour, chances to speak with faculty, staff and students provided them with useful information and for many, a first impression of Augustana.

Kent Barnds, executive vice president for external relations, helped create the Fall Visit Day. He said that visitors are usually extremely curious.

“The campus tour is a centerpiece and focal point of the experience,” Barnds said. 

According to Barnds, the tour provides an opportunity to interact with a current student and answer any questions that might have been around for a long time.

“They want to see campus and determine whether or not that campus matches up with all those photographs from the website and from view books,” Barnds said. 

He highlighted the importance of student interaction. Student panels were added to Fall Visit Day this year, where a group of current students had the opportunity to interact with prospective students and talk about their experiences.

“Given the diversity of our student body, we felt that a panel discussion was important,” Barnds said. “They’re very curious about student voices.”

Five students from different disciplines answered questions for visitors at the start of the Fall Visit Day this year. Topics included Augie choice, internships, music, sports and campus life. 

In the afternoon, visiting students and their families had the opportunity to speak with different faculty, staff and students.

Senior Ben Grafe is a student worker for admissions and described his role as a tour guide. 

“A lot of it is sharing our own personal experiences,” Grafe said. “Just be yourself.”

Senior Gwen Flannery works for admissions and is the Fall Visit Day chair this year on the leadership team. She pointed out that the Fall Visit Day is busy and fun.

“We want them to get a taste of what campus looks like in the fall,” Flannery said. 

Students and families often come curious about what Augustana has to offer and are eager to learn from a current student on a tour. Flannery said that the Fall Visit day is a way for students and parents to have their questions answered.

“If there’s a lot of people on campus, I know sometimes it can be stressful,” Flannery said. 

However, Flannery said that students should try to enjoy the atmosphere. 

“Two years ago, we had no big visit days,” Flannery said, referring to the pandemic.

Kassidy Belcher, admissions counselor and Augustana alum, highlighted the uncertainty that high school juniors and seniors face regarding college.

“We’re here to make that process a little bit easier,” Belcher said. She said that for many, it’s their first visit to any college, not just Augustana. According to her, current students make Augustana the way it is: “Augustana isn’t just a place, it’s a community, and it’s a family.”