Sigma Kappa Tau Sorority holds talent show

Augustana+College+Junior+Eva+Harvin+plays+a+song+onstage+on+September+20th%2C+2019.+Photo+by+Chris+Ferman.+
Augustana College Junior Eva Harvin plays a song onstage on September 20th, 2019. Photo by Chris Ferman.

Augie’s Got Talent is a talent show hosted by the Sigma Kappa Tau Sorority, which took place on Friday, September 20th in Wallenberg Hall. Augie’s Got Talent showcased the talents of Augustana students at as well as fundraised for Augustana’s chapter of Camp Kesem.
Megahn Gove, an Augustana junior and the chairman of Augie’s Got Talent, states “the audience was passionate, carefree, and energetic.” The audience enjoyed the acoustic tunes, original love songs, country and indie music, ukulele performances as well as laid back comedy in between transitions. There were also positive and negative comments and critiques from judges – like a real audition – after every performance.
Augie’s Got Talent in the show’s past was called Augie’s Top Voice,” said Gove. “I wanted to do something different this year and with variety. Where there wasn’t just singers but a multitude of talent.” The show this year included an audience vote for the winner via applauds and was timed for Family Weekend so that visiting families could also enjoy the talent’s of their Augustana students.

Our top 3 winners (From Left to Right): Cyber Sherman, Eva Hardin, and John Do on September 20, 2019. Photo by Chris Ferman.

Another important part of the Augie’s Got Talent show is that it is a school function that fundraises for those in need. This year the event served as a fundraiser for Camp Kesem, a foundation supporting families suffering from cancer and cancer victims. Gove states “it is an annual priority to fundraise for the community.” In previous years Augie’s Got Talent fundraised for pet shelters and women shelters.
Jonathan Quigley, one of the Augie’s Got Talent judges and an Augustana senior, enjoyed seeing all of the talent at the show, though he was surprised to be invited to be a judge. Quigley states “the only thing I would go back to do is see more talent.”
Eva Schmitt, co-chairman of Augie’s Got Talent, and sophomore at Augustana, said “during the auditions the main focus was how do we display Sigma Kappa Tau.” Schmitt also said, “Sigma Kappa Tau is [a] very hands on and interactive sorority, we loved the idea of a different talent showcase and incorporating everyone’s talent. So it was a major plan having the audience help out, the judges getting to have an opinion, and the MC interacting with the crowd.”
The event Augie’s Got Talent not only brought Augustana students and loved ones together but helped the community in the process. Schmitt confirms stating “I think it helped [the performers] gain confidence in performing. [Augie’s Got Talent] was an opportunity for them to stand up in front of a medium/large sized audience and showcase their talent. In this, it also gave them that platform to perform, where maybe they haven’t had the opportunity to do so before.”
The contestants and show staff join for a group photo, capping off the start for Augie’s Got Talent on September 20, 2019. Photo by Chris Ferman.