QC Mallards offer opportunities

The Quad City Mallards, a staple in the community since 2009, have continuously offered opportunities to Augustana students. These opportunities can range from internships and jobs after graduation, to simply an opportunity to get off of campus on a Friday evening.
Junior Melissa Drab is one of the Augustana students who has taken advantage of the QC Mallard community since she started at Augustana. Despite not relating to her major, her experience as an ice girl has helped her immensely.
“You wouldn’t think dentistry and being an ice girl go together, but the interpersonal skills I learn are a big help,” said Drab.
Drab said she has worked as a part of the Mallard’s Bud Light Ice Crew since she was a freshman and has loved every minute of it.
“I have skated since I was five years old, and the mallards have given me the opportunity to continue that while interacting with the wide range of fans the Mallards bring in,” said Drab.
Drab isn’t the only Augustana student employed by the Mallards as fellow junior, Megan Deroeck, has worked along side Drab the whole way.
However, the opportunities to work with the Mallards don’t stop with the Ice Girls. The Mallards also employ Augustana students as interns either in their front office or with the sports medicine team according to manager of new media and marketing Kylie Siebert.
Siebert, who graduated from Augustana in 2016, loves the connection the Mallards have with Augustana College. One of her favorite programs are the Metrolink college nights held during every Friday home game.
“Through our sponsors at Metrolink, Augustana students are able to ride the bus to these games from campus directly to the iWireless Center,” Siebert said. “During the winter, it gives students a great opportunity to get off campus and enjoy a hockey game for $10.”
The relationship has even caused an Augustana Viking Pups to go viral. This year, a Viking pup came out to drop the puck for the ceremonial opening face off and it made national head lines according to Siebert.
Along with making puppies famous, the Mallards have worked with Augustana to set-up a deal. The deal is that when a non-profit group buys 25 tickets, they are allowed to set up a table on the concourse.
Mallards games have also hosted several Greek Life formals, and in the future the Mallards are looking to over Suites to be rented out to the Greek Life Groups.
“There are countless opportunities for Augustana students to get involved with the Mallards, and in the future, we look to expand that relationship by bringing more and more people to the games every week,” said Siebert.
Drab praised the Mallards for their understanding that many of their workers are full-time students as well.
“They really understand that we are students,” Drab said. “If it is a busy weekend I don’t have to work every single game.”
After Drab’s time with Mallards is up, Drab looks to attend graduate school in Chicago. However, her time on the ice may not have ended just yet.
“The Mallards have brought in a few representatives from the Chicago Blackhawks that talked about the opportunity to join their ice crew. If I end up going to school in Chicago, I will look to tryout for the Blackhawks crew,” said Drab.