Badawi discusses spring tennis season

Badawi discusses spring tennis season

The Augustana Observer sat down with lone women’s tennis freshman Zeana Badawi to talk about her experiences with the team.
1. As a freshman, how was your transition into collegiate athletics?
“It was a little difficult. In the fall, I was the only freshman on the team so it was a little rough to move from high school to college. I wasn’t used to playing singles and doubles so that took some more endurance. Also, there is the weight of the team and the school on you, which is also different”
2. What was it like being the only freshman on the team?
“It was a little bit of a struggle. There wasn’t anyone who was going through the transition with me. Most teams have a group of freshman and they lean on each other. But the team was really accommodating and they understood what I was going through and they always tried to help me.”
3. What is one characteristic of the Augustana team that sets you apart from your competitors?
“Because we are such a small team, we are also so close which really helps. We know we have support on each court and we are there for each other all the time. We are also very in tune in practice; we are so focused all the time because there are so few of us.”
4. What is your favorite memory from this year?
“It was after we won conference. We were down to the last two matches, and if they won both those matches then we would win conference. We were sitting on pins and needles just waiting for these matches to be over. They both ended at the same time so it was a really magical moment for us.”
5. What is one characteristic of the Augustana team that sets you apart from your competitors?
“Because we are such a small team we are also so close, which really helps. We know we have support on each court and we are there for each other all the time. We are also very in tune in practice; we are so focused all the time because there are so few of us.”
6. How would you describe your team and your coach?
“My coach is a very hard worker and he is very kind. The team is extremely driven. I have never seen a group of girls that work so hard to accomplish one goal.”
7. What does this team mean to you?
“It means everything to me; they are like my family. They are the best role models I could ask for.”