Women's basketball improves to 8-0 after a strong third quarter

TM
Sophomore Corrie Reiley shoots a free throw in her game against Coe College. Augie won 103-94. Photo by Tawanda Mberikwazvo.

Entering the second half with a tie game, the women’s basketball team came out of the locker room reenergized as they went on a 21-8 run against Carthage College and earned their eight straight win at the Carver Center last night.
Senior guard Mikayla Fallon said head coach Mark Beinborn gave them the strategy to win.
“He always has a good game plan, and as long as we follow, we knew it would help us keep doing well,” said Fallon.
In the first quarter, the Carthage College Reds were able to take the lead 23-19, but the Vikings were able to catch up as they tied the score at 42-42 at the half.
After starting the third tied at 42, the Vikings took off when senior guard Jennifer VanWatermeulen hit a jumper and then sophomores Claire Kramer and Corrie Reiley nailed consecutive 3-pointers to make it 60-50 with 3:54 left in the third.
The third quarter ended with Kramer hitting a buzzer beater rebound shot to put the Vikings up 65-54.
After a minute in the fourth, Fallon hit a 3-pointer and sophomore guard Izzy Anderson hit a shot to extend the lead to 16.
The Vikings lead never went under double digits in the fourth as they earned their biggest lead of the game with 19 points and closed out the game 83-68.
Sophomore forward Sadie Roberts credits their victory to the depth the team possesses, and how close they all are.
“It’s really nice the depth we have. The team chemistry is great, which really helped us out there,” said Roberts.
The women’s team looks to improve to 9-0 at 2 p.m. this Saturday against Central College at Central College.