Festival Seeking Holiday Spirit

It may only be October, but the Festival of Trees is on the hunt for volunteers filled with holiday spirit to help with the annual festival. The festival opens the holiday season here in the Quad Cities, hosting eleven days of family fun ranging from musical performances to kids’ activities to its main attraction, a forest of community-designed Christmas trees.
The festival aims not only to stir up holiday spirit but also to raise money for Quad City Arts, a local non-profit charity dedicated to enhancing life in the Quad Cities through all forms of art. Community businesses and clubs donate decorated trees and other festive holiday décor like wreathes and gingerbread houses to be auctioned off during the festival. Student groups are encouraged to donate décor as well, such as Chi Alpha Pi, who have donated a tree every year since 2012.
This year, the Festival of Trees will be open to the public from November 17th through the 27th, but the Quad City Arts is already seeking out community members and Augustana students willing and ready to help out.
“We need the most help filling volunteer shifts at our event, either by working in our North Pole children’s activity center, by selling raffle tickets, by working an admissions table, or by working in our TreatShoppe or Gingerbread Village,” explained Augustana alum and Special Events Director Megan Schoff.
Augustana senior Maureen Joyce is also hard at work organizing the Festival of Trees this year. She originally found the opportunity to work with the Festival of Trees through a Quad City Arts internship listed on Augie Hub. After meeting with Schoff, Joyce realized that this was the perfect opportunity for her to gain experience working with non-profits and reaching out to the community.
“It has such a different atmosphere than just sitting behind a cubicle all day every day, and I love the energy everyone brings in,” said Joyce.
Volunteering to staff one of the event areas and donating trees are only two of the multitude of options open to students interested in helping the Festival of Trees start off the holiday season right. Musical groups can apply to perform in the CenterStage area, and student groups are encouraged to apply for a spot in the annual Holiday Parade.
Students interested in more information about the Festival of Trees should visit www.quadcityarts.com for specific volunteer information and forms.