Senior recitals exhibit students’ musical talents

Senior Maria Catalano sings a song during her senior recital in Wallenburg Hall. Photo by Christine Beach.

As spring term arrives, the recital calendar grows more and more frantic.

The music department encourages the talented seniors to showcase their hard work via a senior recital. While the recitals occur throughout the year, spring is populated with performances.

Starting approximately a year in advance, students began searching through the stacks to find music that would not only challenge them but reward them as well.

“You want the music to be an aid to help you grow and develop as a musician, but you also want the process to be an enjoyable experience,” said senior Rachel Auton, music education major.

Auton recently performed on April 2, with fellow senior Lauren Heiberger.

For the performers, choosing and perfecting music for a senior recital requires time, patience and love for notes on a page.

Though there are no requirements for the senior recital, many students are performing pieces in other languages and from various musical eras.

This means each recital is completely different, and the audience will be hearing musical styles from Renaissance to Romantic.

This also means that students will play pieces that they truly enjoy, like Henry Weberpal. He stated that he would be playing Bach and Schumann because he loves the “technique but also lyricism” involved.

The performances are polished by their conclusion, but the process is a technical and emotional journey.

Senior Jamie Hochmuth said that being “dedicated to learning the music, mastering the language, memorizing, and being able to show the meaning in facial expression and body movement” was a difficult process.

Many seniors, Hochmuth included, said that they had to work far in advance with their vocal and instrumental teachers in order to practice these performance aspects. The performers have to work outside of the practice rooms with accompanists to solidify their performance sets. Students also have the option of working in duets or as a solo performer.

The stress and rehearsals increase a few weeks before the final recitals take place. Before attempting to take the stage, they must perform for a faculty panel, called a jury.

This is done so each senior is informed on whether they are or are not prepared for their final performance. Many students view this process as  a stressful but necessary assessment in regard to evaluating their skills.

As a whole, Auton describes the overall process as a “crazy, stressful, overwhelming and rewarding journey.” She encourages Augustana students to attend these recitals to support the music community and the students that are involved.

“Whatever your motive,” Auton states, “make sure to take time to appreciate the music and the process it took for the performer to reach this point in his or her career.”

If you are interested in attending, recitals take place throughout spring term. Check the Augustana events calendar for performance times.