Augustana to find funniest student stand-up

Gary Miller, senior, won first place at Last Comic Standing last year. Each year, students perform stand-up comedy to an audience of their peers, and the best received comic wins.  Photo by Linnea Ritchie.
Gary Miller, senior, won first place at Last Comic Standing last year. Each year, students perform stand-up comedy to an audience of their peers, and the best received comic wins.
Photo by Cam Best.

Update: An earlier version of this story misidentified the photographer. 
Augustana’s class clowns and comedy enthusiasts and preparing this week. Students will compete at Last Comic Standing, hosted by the Multicultural Programming Board, on April 25.
The event, at 8 p.m. in the Gävle Room, will showcase various students’ stand-up comedy talents while competing for cash prizes of $300 for first place, $200 for second place and $100 for third place. The winner will be chosen by the audience.
Audience members will have the chance to be entered into a drawing for gift cards and other various prizes.
Theodore Hedrick, a member of the Multicultural Programming Board’s Comedy Club, encourages all students to attend.
“This event is unique because it is essentially a show done by the students for the students,” Hedrick said.
Hedrick said that having students perform and compete for prizes, instead of booking another comedian for their last show, is a nice change for students.
“It gives them a chance to see their fellow peers perform a comedy stand-up act,” Hedrick said. “It is our way of letting the students take over the show, but not completely.”
Auditions began last week and, out of those who auditioned, the judges decided who will perform.
Gary Miller, last year’s Last Comic Standing winner, auditioned again hoping to take the stage one last time before he graduates.
“I love doing comedy and performing as much as possible,” said Miller. “I’m driven to do it because it’s just something I have to do. It kind of consumes you in a way.”
Miller, who has experience with stand-up comedy, stressed the distinction between performing in front of Augustana students and other audiences.
“Performing in front of peers here at Augie is an entirely different and awesome experience compared to total strangers at bars or a small theater,” Miller said. “The audience is different here at Augie because a lot of people have only really seen stand-up comedy on TV… These kinds of shows are fun and low pressure.”
Both Hedrick and Miller see Last Comic Standing as a fun way for students to sit back, laugh and take a break from school work.
“It’s a really great way to de-stress as we enter the end of the year,” Hedrick said.
“This is a way for me to be vulnerable in a different kind of way and hopefully get people to forget about the world for a bit,” Miller said.
Admission is free and all students are welcome to attend.