What to do this Valentine's Day

Chocolate, roses and sappy Hallmark cards: everyone’s favorite celebration of love is upon us. As Valentine’s Day nears, people have began preparing to spend a special day with their loved ones. For young couples at Augustana, this could mean surprising a romantic partner with flowers, or taking your special someone to one of the many events available on and off campus on Feb. 14.  Photo illustration by Lauren Mainz.
Chocolate, roses and sappy Hallmark cards: everyone’s favorite celebration of love is upon us. As Valentine’s Day nears, people have began preparing to spend a special day with their loved ones. For young couples at Augustana, this could mean surprising a romantic partner with flowers, or taking your special someone to one of the many events available on and off campus on Feb. 14.
Photo illustration by Lauren Mainz.

Unsure what to do this Valentines Day? Well there are options both on and off of campus to celebrate the hallmark holiday.
One of the classic places to take your special someone is the movie theater. Several movies hit the box office this Friday.
Friday, Feb. 13, one film, one of the most anticipated this year, “Fifty Shades of Grey” starring Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan is to be released. Based on the erotic romance novel written by E. L. James, it is the first in the trilogy by the author.
Another film to be released on Friday is “Kingsman: The Secret Service” starring Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson, Taron Egerton and Michael Caine. The movie follows the recruitment of a young kid from the streets to a competitive agency’s training program.
Both films will be shown at Regal Cinemas in Moline and Rave Cinemas in Davenport. After catching a movie, young couples are invited for a romantic stroll through a preserved park.
The Blackhawk State Historical Site will be hosting an Indoor Music and Moonlight Walk from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 14, at its Watch Tower Lodge in Rock Island. There will be two options: an illuminated-lit path for walks outside and donuts, coffee and other warm drinks inside the lodge with a fire. People can do both and also enjoy music and dancing.
The Office of Career and Development will be hosting “Love Your Future,” an event where student’s can go into Olin and write what they are going to love about their future. There will be snacks and refreshments provided along with prizes. The event will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
At 2 p.m., the Augustana Concert Band will perform at Centennial Hall. According to the events at calendar the band was formed more than 30 years ago and is the largest Augustana College music ensemble. Departments of all across the campus participate and students are involved with the selection process of the songs. The concert is free.
There will be two home basketball games; both the men and women’s Augustana Viking’s Basketball teams will take on Millikin. The women’s game will be at 5 p.m. and the men’s game will be at 7 p.m. at the Carver Athletic Center.
At 7:30 p.m. the annual production of “The Vagina Monologues” will be taking place in Wallenberg Hall of Denkman. Presented by the Alpha Psi Omega fraternity, this is the twelfth year of production of Eve Ansler’s play in which Augustana students perform. Tickets are $9.00 at the door and $6.00 in advance for students. Funds from the show go to prevent violence towards women.
Those are a few events to attend both on and off campus this weekend for Valentines Day. Enjoy the holiday whether alone or together.