Student-led mental health campaign draws crowds

Students+turned+up+in+a+large+crowd+to+support+the+Gray+Matters+movement+on+Tuesday%2C+Feb.+5%2C+2019+in+the+Gavle+rooms.+The+room+was+filled+to+capacity%2C+with+many+sitting+outside+the+doorway+to+hear+speakers.+Photo+courtesy+of+Ian+Murrin.+
Students turned up in a large crowd to support the Gray Matters movement on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019 in the Gavle rooms. The room was filled to capacity, with many sitting outside the doorway to hear speakers. Photo courtesy of Ian Murrin.

On Tuesday, Feb. 5 several members of the Augustana community came together to discuss the importance of mental health and why The Gray Matters.
The room was packed with dozens of students surrounded the stage as Junior Haley DeGreve spoke about her passion for speaking out against the stigma that surrounds mental health. She included statistics to show the the amount of people who suffer from having any type of mental disability.

Junior and co-organizer Haley DeGreve speaks at The Gray Matters event on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019 in the Gavle rooms. Photo courtesy of Ian Murrin.

“I started this campaign for many reasons. I’ve always been passionate about mental health because I struggle with it, as do many of my friends,” DeGreve said. “
Researchers tell us that one in three college students suffer from mental illness. So if we take the number of students at Augustana and match up this statistic, then around 800 students are struggling on campus.”
Three speakers came to discuss how mental health has impacted their personal lives. Many tears were shed as Senior and Student Government Association (SGA) vice president Belle Hartman discussed her personal struggle with mental illness. Hartman gave a profound speech about her past history on the topic.
Senior and SGA vice-president Belle Hartman shares her story with crowds on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019 in the Gavle rooms. Photo courtesy of Ian Murrin.

“I hope that my story was able to touch many people and that people feel comfortable sharing their story as well. I am always willing to listen to anyone if they need to vent or just need advice,” Hartman said.
“This campaign shouldn’t end after this event, but continue throughout the week, month and years, until Mental Illness is seen as any other disease that is common in our society.” Hartman hopes that her message displays the reality behind mental illness.
Sophomore Adam Molina talked about his experiences coming to Augustana as a first-year. Molina discussed how he had lost interest in football and the process in which he is overcoming his mental obstacles. He said, “Change takes time but you guys are not alone; you are in control.” Molina is grateful for his friends and girlfriend for their love and support.
Kevin Atwood from Foster’s Voice hugs SGA vice president and senior Belle Hartman after an emotional presentation encouraging students to reach out and seek help for mental illness on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019 in the Gavle rooms. Photo courtesy of Ian Murrin.

A local organization in East Moline known as Foster’s Voice was present to discuss suicide awareness. The crowd listened wholeheartedly as Kevin Atwood spoke on the death of his son and how this tragedy motivated him to advocate for mental health.
Atwood stated, “You are the ones who are going to make a difference. I believe in you to be that change. The ‘gray’ matters. But most importantly, you matter.”
Senior Ethan Conley-Keck was just one of the many faces that represented The Gray Matters as he talked about the importance of mental health. He stated, “It’s nice to see that these resources are available on campus. A lot of people care and I’m glad Augustana is doing more to accommodate stress that comes with college.”
Dr. William Iavarone, Augustana College’s new counseling director, speaks to the students attending The Gray Matters event on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019 in the Gavle rooms. Photo courtesy of Ian Murrin.

Sophomore Sage Sanders was one of the many people who attended The Gray Matters. “A lot of people in my life have been affected by mental illness. I get anxiety easily and having this on campus really helps.The fact that so many people came was heartwarming for myself. I’m not the only person who wants to make a difference.” She hopes that this program helps to stop the stigma behind mental health.
According to DeGreve, this campaign has received a lot of positive feedback and she wants to expand this program to motivate those who feel like they don’t have a voice. She says that it’s time we start making mental health a priority.

Image Featured: