Students discuss Roe v. Wade overturning

Krystina Slack

With the overturning of Roe v. Wade, many people have become very worried about their reproductive futures. 

On Oct. 6, Students for Reproductive Rights (SSRF) and the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity’s (OSID) group Sisterhood of Unique Ladies (SOUL) came together and created the U in Uterus event that was held in the brew. This event was created for those who have been affected by the overturning of Roe v. Wade to discuss how they felt and what they went through the day it was overturned.

The event was a large, open mic stage for everyone and anyone who wanted to talk. The open mic was not just for women and menstruating people. This was an event for everyone.

“Anybody can come. If you are white, a man, female, non-binary, you can come to this event,” sophomore OSID worker Iratze Aceves said. “We’re bringing certain awareness to a certain gender and women of color.”

The event attracted many people. The brew was beautifully decorated with colored tablecloths, charcuterie boards, little items to raffle off and a merchandise table. All of this seemed to catch the eyes of people who walked by.

“It’s been really exciting because it feels like students on campus see the group and want us here, which is exciting because it was a bit of a struggle trying to get it restarted,” said senior SSRF president Sinclaire Lucero.

Events like U in Uterus are vital to helping start conversations about important topics. Without these conversations, it becomes very hard to learn and understand the impact of the overturning of Roe v. Wade. The purpose of the U in Uterus event was to help educate others on the overturning of Roe v. Wade and how it has disproportionately affected many people of color along with the effects it could have on specific communities.

“There is no point constantly telling women of color the problems we already know about ourselves,” said Aceves. “If we really want to make a change, if we really want to make a difference, we need communication.”

At the event, stickers were passed around as well as a QR code to inform people where they could get an abortion and more information about abortions. There were also posters being handed out to people at the event.

“[The event is] mostly [about] good uterine health, birth control, STDs, how that affects a majority of women of color, abortion and how it’s gonna affect us in the future,” Aceves said.

To learn more about reproductive health and rights, the Planned Parenthood website provides a lot of helpful information. If you would like to get more involved on campus you can also join the SSFR and attend meetings and continue the discussion about reproductive rights.