Augie’s cold shoulder: students with ESAs are left in the heat

Jessica Ramirez

Augustana has a diverse student body, and among that, there are people with disabilities who require emotional support animals (ESAs) to enjoy an education equal to their peers. Yet the college often overlooks the living conditions of these students and their animals and provides almost no support in accommodating their lives within a dormitory hall. 

While Augie allows ESAs in dorms, the approval is not enough. It is necessary to consider the importance of larger rooms and air conditioning for these students, as living otherwise could make it inhabitable for students and their animals.

An ESA, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, is any animal, not limited to dogs, that provides companionship and helps a person with their depression and anxiety. ESAs are a form of therapy according to healthcare professionals  that helps alleviate the symptoms of these conditions. An ESA is not merely a lifestyle choice but a necessity for the student’s mental health.

While Augustana does make efforts to provide larger rooms for students with medical accommodations, students with ESAs still lack comfort and support due to the lack of air conditioning and space in certain residence halls. A larger room can help the animal move around more freely and have more space for the student to interact with their ESA and develop a deeper connection. It would also lessen stress, as a larger room provides a more comfortable and relaxing environment. 

A cramped room, paired with the lack of air conditioning, could be inhabitable for the student and their ESA. Animals are sensitive to temperature and extreme heat can be very dangerous or even fatal. The lack of temperature controls in certain dorms could add more to the student’s stress, making them uncomfortable and hindering their ability to manage their mental health.

It’s essential to empathize with the experiences of a person who does not need an ESA in an environment with unbearable heat and compare that to someone who needs special accommodations. Ensuring suitable living conditions for students with ESAs is not only a matter of comfort but also a crucial aspect of their overall safety and mental well-being.

The Fair Housing Act is a federal law in the United States that prohibits discrimination in housing based on various characteristics, including race, religion, sex, national origin, familial status and disability. Students with disabilities and mental health issues who require ESAs are protected under this act. Augustana needs to revise its guidelines to adequately assist students and provide a better living environment. This is not just about following the laws, but a responsibility for Augie to provide equitable, quality living conditions to all its students.

Some might argue that providing certain students with larger rooms and air conditioning is preferential treatment, but they are necessary conditions for these students and their animals to live and study comfortably like their peers. These are not unreasonable requests, as ESAs are essential to a student’s mental health. By making these accommodations, Augustana can truly uphold its commitment to inclusivity and support for all students.