Sudden floods, snow and rain isn’t to sing about

Chris Ferman

A double rainbow appears in the sky after a heavy storm hits the Quad Cities on Sunday, May 7, 2023.

Taylor Roth

Sudden changes in the weather are not something to be concerned about, but extreme changes, such as going from eighty-degree weather to forty with a chance of snow within a week, does raise concerns. 

The effects of global warming have been around for a long time, and it is shocking that so many people don’t believe in it or refuse to as we see it around campus. 

Recently, there has been a flood warning in the Rock Island and Iowa area when unseasonably warm temperatures in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin exacerbated snowmelt, which brought the river levels over 20 feet above average. When I went to a local farmers market, I saw how flooded certain areas were in Iowa. Places where people would normally be walking and enjoying the nice day were completely covered in rainwater, and there were sandbags lined around local shops.

Earlier in the spring semester, there was a week where it was in the high 70s and low 80s. The change in weather prompted students to go outside and enjoy the warm temperatures. With the temperatures being nice compared to the usual cold and harsh winters of the Midwest, it made me think the weather was here to stay. But a week later, students were back to wearing jeans and sweaters as the weather changed back to the upper 40s. 

At first, I didn’t think much of the changing weather except for it being a nuisance, but after seeing the high amount of flooding in the local area, it made me wonder how and if there was anything that Augustana students can do to prevent or lower the chances of sudden weather changes. 

This is a lot to ask of students who are already concerned about their classes and passing their exams, but I believe that promoting change will help lower the rising dangers of climate change.

Some of the things that students can do now are simply talk about the effects that climate change has had on the planet and talk with their local politicians to bring the importance of climate change to their offices. 

According to the United Nations Environment Programme, there are many ways to fight against the climate crisis. 

One of these is talking to local politicians and keeping up the political pressure so government officials know we care about this and want to do something to prevent the world from getting worse. 

Changing the way you get around is another way of preventing climate change, as CO² is the leading cause. Instead of taking an Uber or a bus to get somewhere, try walking, if it’s feasible, or riding a bike. 

Reining in your power use is also another way to lower the risks, as more power used means more energy is being consumed. Switching off appliances when they’re not being used and turning off the lights when not in the room can help tremendously in not only lowering the risks of climate change but also helping with your energy bill. 

Recent weather events on campus have brought awareness to the dangers of leaving climate change unaddressed. Lowering these dangers isn’t going to be easy, but through engaging in simple ways to lower our carbon footprint, there is a chance of making a better world for tomorrow.