Misguided perceptions gobble up Thanksgiving traditions

Hailey Glasnovich

Often being overshadowed by Halloween and Christmas, Thanksgiving is the holiday that most college students greatly associate with a break. More students should emphasize it as a holiday with merit and not merely a decent break before finals. 

My experiences with my family are much different than what I see everywhere else. Thanksgiving for the majority of people is something that seems over-glorified as a necessity to splurge on any sort of good shopping deals, taking advantage of no work days.

What merits are there of Thanksgiving being a holiday? One is having the pleasure of a day off of school and work. Some essential workers still have to go to their jobs at least part of the day before they can go home. 

Is it just an excuse for others to have time off work for no reason? From my standpoint, it just seems like the time needed to prepare for intensive shopping.

Thanksgiving appears often as just a symbol of capitalism. The obnoxious amount of food and the greediness of Black Friday make it probably one of the best holidays from an economic standpoint.

Excessive Black Friday deals and advertisements have overshadowed the true meaning of Thanksgiving. The contrast between thankfulness and greed is sickening.

Around campus, I really do not see Black Friday being promoted. One thing I have noticed that aligns with the focus on Thanksgiving is Turkey Grams. The Augustana Student Government Association is leading this event, advertising in the Brew that you “send them to people you’re thankful for!” All proceeds from these turkey grams will go to charity.

That expresses the meaning of Thanksgiving for me. Giving to others, spreading love and showing thankfulness and kindness to those you love most.

In my family, we have never missed celebrating a Thanksgiving meal. It is not because we have to overindulge in turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing. It is a tradition that brings our family together, even those farther away.

Even last year, some friends and I put on a Friendsgiving because some students cannot go home during break. It was one memory that I have cherished, and now it is a tradition I want to carry on. 

We do not go out for Black Friday sales all hours of the night or create chaos in the store aisles. It had become normal for us to see the aftermath of Thursday night on Friday afternoon, going through the remainder of what was picked over by greedy hands.

For me, Black Friday is just the day after Thanksgiving, the day after a home cooked meal with my family members. In my house, we take this time to slow down, turn on Christmas music and decorate. The tree always goes up first, followed by the garland, the lights and everything else that covers nearly the entire house.

To the public eye, Thanksgiving is overlooked. It seems nonexistent in the shadow of Black Friday deals. 

In my opinion, I think Thanksgiving is one of the best days of the year on its own.