Students cheer on men's basketball at national championship

SALEM, VA.— Leaving at 11 p.m. after pledging, Alpha Sigma Xi member Tim Burnett and seven other Alpha Sigs left for the NCAA tournament, arriving at the Salem Civic Center approximately an hour before the game started.
Burnett said that Augustana’s fan section’s cheering is comparable to a Division I school, such as Kentucky. The Vikings came in second place in the NCAA tournament, losing to the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point with a score of 70-54.
“Augustana’s student section has been awesome with their cheering and support of the team,” said Burnett.
During the first half of the game, the games announcer referred to Augustana’s fan section as “boisterous,” referring to their cheers of “Defense,” when the Vikings were defending the ball and calling “bullsh*t” every time the referees made a call Augustana students did not agree with.
Junior Bob French and senior Tim Maroder led the approximately 130 students in cheers for the men’s basketball team.
When the Vikings lost, French and Maroder, along with the rest of the fans, cheered “thank you, Augie.”
“The guys always say that we give them a boost,” said French.
He said that he felt proud of the team, and since the five starters are juniors, he will be back to the NCAA tournament next year supporting his Vikings.
French drove up himself with three others on midnight on Friday, since both of the times he went to go purchase tickets all of them were sold out.
“This is a once in a college career opportunity,” said French before the game began.
He said 25-30 members of Augustana’s football team came to Salem to support their fellow team.