Augustana explores diversity in literature with Dilruba Z. Ara

Books can be transformative and empowering for students. On Nov. 3, Dilruba Z. Ara, an author born in Bangladesh who is currently living in Sweden, visited Augustana College. During her visit, she shared her books with students, including two chapters of her most recent book, “China,” which she is hoping to finish by the end of next year. 

Ara, who is also an artist, has a very strong connection with all of her books. She considers herself to be multitalented and has varied interests. Being well-rounded is what allows her books to be so distinguishable from others. 

“I write in three languages. I also translate my own books,” Ara said. “At the age of 12, I also won first place in an art contest in Bangladesh. This is when I knew that I had it. Ever since, I have also been the creator of my own book covers.”

Writing has always come to Ara as a natural talent and she said that everything in her life has seemed to reinforce her connection with literature. 

“My dad was a writer, and my mom taught Bengali literature,” Ara said. “Ever since I was a child, I have always been writing. When I was eight my first story was published.” 

Umme Al-wazedi, an Augustana English professor and dean of humanities, said that the purpose of the author’s visit was to cherish diversity and strengthen connections. 

“I helped find sponsors and funds for her visit,” Al-wazedi said. “Her novels give voice to strong women. She also represents Bangladesh on Augie’s campus, which is seeing the growth of Bangladeshi students.”

Throughout the event attendees were able to enjoy desserts and take a look at five of Ara’s different books. Ara also shared more details about her book called “Blame,” a book about the war that took place during 1971 when Bangladesh was separated from Pakistan. The book was originally written in English, and it became very popular in different countries including the U.S. 

“75% of the ‘Blame’ book is true. All the things that happened there I’ve seen. My cousin was shot dead right in front of me, ” Ara said. “The reason why I chose the name ‘Blame’ is because people are always blaming someone.” 

Ara likes to share her stories with people, but she also enjoys motivating others to pursue their dreams and follow their passions. 

“The best thing people can do is to write a good story. The structure and everything else you can learn. It’s like putting a puzzle together,” Ara said. “If you want to be a writer, you should take your time to read and write. No one should take your time.”

Al-wazedi was very careful when organizing the event. It took an entire month before the event was fully planned and ready to take place. 

There is a history behind this. Three years ago, I was looking for diasporic Bangladeshi writers who wrote about the war of 1971,” Al-wazedi said. “While doing research, I found her book titled ‘Blame.’ After reading the book, I contacted her and our connection began from there.” 

Ara puts her essence into all of her books, which allows readers to create connections and bond with her even without physically knowing her. 

“As an author I have been able to learn that we are all the same. That no matter what we look like or who we are, we are all connected by our feelings, as well as the common human experience,” Ara said.

With a smile on her face and claps coming from every corner of the crowd, Ara finished her presentation and took pictures with the audience.

“Thank you very much everybody for making my visit to Augustana possible,” Ara said. “I feel grateful, I feel blessed.”