Lights, cameras, action: Needed safety measures

The recent arrest of Emmeline Kenealy, a Community Advisor (CA) in Westerlin Residence Center, sent a shockwave across the Augustana campus.

This incident, along with a reported sexual assault case at the beginning of October, has raised concerns about the safety of students living in residence halls.

The Clery Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose information about campus crime. This includes notifying students about incidents of theft and burglaries.

Compliance with this act is essential as it provides transparency to students, enabling them to make informed decisions about campus safety. This includes timely and accurate reporting of all campus crimes.

Providing the campus community with crime statistics, annual security reports and timely warnings when necessary, is also required.

Augustana has done an adequate job complying with the Clery Act, with crime statistics easily accessible on the Augustana College website and timely warnings sent to students and faculty.

The increase in the number of timely warning emails sent out indicates a quick response to incidents. However, it also signifies a potential rise in crimes surrounding the school, raising concerns about campus safety.

Augustana can take steps to make our campus safer. To reduce crimes, enhancing surveillance systems in parking lots is crucial. Security cameras can deter criminals and provide valuable evidence in the event of a crime, preventing additional crimes from happening.

By increasing the number of cameras and ensuring they cover all parking areas, Augustana can significantly improve security. Well-lit areas are also less attractive to criminals.

Augustana should invest in better lighting throughout its parking lots, residence halls and academic buildings to create a safer environment.

Adequate lighting discourages criminal activity and helps students feel more secure when walking to and from their residence halls.

One of my least favorite places to walk at night is the area where 34th Street cuts through 10th Avenue to get from Gerber Center back to my apartment. The street is dimly lit, and there are no cameras in sight outside of the parking lot behind Anderson and Bartholomew Houses.

By implementing the above recommendations, this problem could be solved. Safety resources are accessible and can be found on the website.

Also, students can access this information through contacting Community Advisors (CAs), Public Safety and other offices dedicated to student safety.

Having worked as a CA before, I found myself well-equipped with resources regarding public safety, both to defend myself and to provide for students. I have had students reach out to me with safety concerns, and I was able to address their concerns quickly.

The problem is less about whether Augie has adequate resources to support students, but rather if the college knows how to promote them to students.

Students are unaware of the abundant resources on campus.

Resources students can access on campus are not advertised, as there is a lack of workshops, posters and other promotional materials.

Increasing awareness and outreach efforts are essential to bring these resources to students.

The recent incidents at Augustana have highlighted the need for increased campus safety measures, such as lights and security cameras, particularly in residence halls and parking areas.

While the college has complied with the Clery Act in terms of reporting and warnings, there is a growing concern regarding the number of incidents near and in student residences on campus.

Augustana can take significant steps towards creating a safer environment for students in residence halls.

Implementing enhanced surveillance, improved lighting and increasing awareness of available safety resources, would increase campus safety.

The college must continue to prioritize the safety and well-being of its campus community.