Social Justice Day: Does Augustana care about fair and equitable treatment for all?

Chloe Baxter

Feb. 20 is Social Justice Day, an international celebration that advocates for the fair and equitable treatment of all individuals and the coming together of communities to achieve this goal. As social justice issues continue to impact many areas of the world today, celebration and awareness of this day become increasingly critical. However, Augustana does nothing to commemorate the occasion, failing to make students aware of this cause and negatively impacting the worldwide fight for social justice. 

In November of 2007, the United Nations General Assembly recognized the role of social development and justice in their decades-long mission of maintaining international peace and security. They also identified how social justice and development face obstacles, preventing them from achieving their mission. 

“The General Assembly recognizes that social development and social justice are indispensable for the achievement and maintenance of peace and security within and among nations and that, in turn, social development and social justice cannot be attained in the absence of peace and security, or in the absence of respect for all human rights and fundamental freedoms.” (United Nations)

A critical weapon to combat a lack of peace, security, rights or freedoms is awareness. Educating the public about an issue is the first step in enabling the people to take charge of their futures because it provides information about the failures of their past and present. Through establishing Social Justice Day, the United Nations demonstrated a belief in the role of public awareness in combating injustice. 

Since its establishment, many observe Social Justice Day through contests and publications, among other things. 

Similarly, large-scale social justice and development movements have become more common since 2007. Additionally, more strides have been made to maintain social justice in politics. This makes the day a celebration of the steps taken and a reminder of the strides we still have yet to make.

So why is Augustana an exception? Why is there no observance, events or mention in the student bulletin?

Educating the public is critical to the success of a movement. In failing to commemorate Social Justice Day in any way, shape or form, Augustana is preventing education about these issues.

Some may argue that it is not the college’s duty to provide information about Social Justice Day, saying that students should seek information about the event themselves. However, a college’s responsibility is to educate its students and prepare them to engage with society post-education. This education includes social issues, which can bring students together and increase their community engagement.

Educating students about social issues is also a critical component of their careers and personal lives, helping them to understand different perspectives and improve critical thinking skills. Recognizing and celebrating Social Justice Day would draw further attention to social justice and development issues, positively impacting students’ education. 

So, while Augustana is not required to publicize this event and inform students, their contribution would be critical to the movement’s success and the success of Augustana students post-graduation. 

Social Justice Day has its beginnings in the United Nations’ mission to maintain peace and security and the role that social justice and development play in accomplishing that mission. It is celebrated internationally to draw awareness to social issues that we currently face and have overcome, but Augustana fails to join in on this celebration. 

With this in mind, Feb. 20 passed with little significance, students carried on as if it were any other Monday. They were unaware of the day’s significance in the battle for fair and equitable treatment of all as the college deprived them of a greater understanding of these issues by failing to bring awareness to Social Justice Day.