Education 340 Leads Kickball Game

This upcoming Saturday, October 21st, the Education 340 class here at Augustana is holding an event for students in the Education program, and for students with special needs in the Quad City area.
The professor of the class, Dr. Bracke, explained the purpose and goals of this event.
“The project that Ryan and crew have created is part of their performance capstone for EDUC 340, ‘Methods of Inclusion.’ The assignment connects theory to practice by challenging students to engage in authentic learning. Students are asked to create a project that demonstrates a robust understanding of course content.”
Dr. Bracke also said, “The purpose of the game is to socialize and have fun. My students have spent the term learning how to plan lessons and develop teaching strategies that meet the needs of all learners. Most importantly,  I believe they have learned that they have the power to create classrooms where differences in ability are embraced and valued.”
A powerful event, such as this one, looks to have positive effects on all the students involved.
A student in the Education 340 class, Andre Rivera, had similar things to say about the goals and purpose of this event.
“The goal of this kickball game is to spend a day with students with special needs. Through teamwork and collaboration, we hope to develop a stronger relationship with our community.”
Rivera also talked about what he hopes to gain from this experience.
“I hope that through this event I can apply my experience through clinical observations to provide a weekend event that is meaningful to these students. The group itself is hoping that this event can be a learning experience in the sense that this our opportunity to create an event made exclusively for students with special needs in mind,” Rivera said.
On top of being an assignment, this event is also hitting on a bigger issue according to Dr. Bracke.
“Many individuals with different abilities still, to a large extent, experience negative stereotypes and low-performance expectations. Though not competitive, I think the morning will provide opportunities for everyone to make new friends and be a winner.”
This event is being held at Pepsico from 9:30-11 a.m. of October 21st.