Bernie Sanders builds community at his rally in Coralville IA

Bernie+Sanders+reacts+to+someone+in+the+crowd+as+they+criticize+Micheal+Bloomberg+entering+the+Democratic+race%2C+on%2C+Saturday%2C+Nov.+9.+
Bernie Sanders reacts to someone in the crowd as they criticize Micheal Bloomberg entering the Democratic race, on, Saturday, Nov. 9.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), a progressive candidate for the 2020 democratic presidential nomination, held a rally with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), to speak about corruption in the political system. The rally was held in Coralville IA, Nov. 9 2019.
Sanders is well known for his grassroots movement, in which he created the Medicare for All bill and has been an advocate for the working class and oppressed communities.
Under his medicare for all plan, private insurance would be abolished and health care would be free for all Americans. In addition to free health care, Sanders plans on eliminating all medical debt, according to his campaign website.
Supporters at his rally like his stance on healthcare.
“My top [stances] are medicare for all and…his policy on climate change,” Shannon O’Leary, a graduate student at the University of Iowa said. 
Sanders supports Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal, a resolution to combat climate change. 
To achieve a cleaner environment Sanders wants to switch to “100 percent renewable energy for electricity and transportation by no later than 2030” and create 20 million reneweable energy jobs, according to his campaign website.
Sanders climate change plan earned him an A+ rating by the Greenpeace Organization, a global organization that works toward environmental change. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) was second with an A- rating.
Sanders plans to combat income inequality by taxing the wealthy and raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
“Our campaign is going to end the grotesque level of income inequality,” Sanders said. 
Sanders wealth tax follows a progressive rate structure. In his plan, you get taxed 1 percent, or 1 cent, for every dollar made above $35 million and then eventually 8 percent, or 8 cents, for every dollar made above $10 billion.
“[Real change] is always from the bottom on up,” Sanders said. 
Ocasio-Cortez joined Sanders in Coralville. She took the stage to discuss corruption within the American political system.
Ocasio-Cortez mentioned her background graduating with over $20k in student debt and working as a waitress just last year.
“Since he has fought for me, I want to fight for him,” Ocasio-Cortez said.
Student debt would be eliminated under a Sanders administration, in addition to free public college tuition, Sanders said at the rally.
Supporters trust Sanders’ campaign promises that were mentioned at the rally.
“I trust him, I don’t trust the other candidates,” Jailene Bernal, a sophomore at Kirkwood Community College, said.
Volunteers for RepresentUS, an organization fighting corruption in the system, were also seen at the rally.
“People wait for a knight in shining armor…like we’re going to elect a president and they’re gonna fix everything, but it’s more about community and organizing,” Justin Whitty, 33, a volunteer for RepresentUS, said.
Sanders campaign focuses on community. His slogan says, “Not me, us.”
“We’re not pushing the party left we are bringing the party home,” Ocasio-Cortez said.
Bernie Sanders reacts to someone in the crowd as they criticize Micheal Bloomberg entering the Democratic race, on Saturday, Nov. 9. Photo by Emily Jacobson/Observer Staff