Augustana joins the nation’s Walkout

SGA Vice President Courtney Kampert and President Allan Daly talk to Observer reporters before the walk out officially began on Wednesday morning in front of Bergendoff Hall. Photo by Kevin Donovan

On Wednesday, Mar. 14 at 10 a.m., a little over 200 students and faculty of Augustana College walked out of class exactly one month after 17 people were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Various academic institutions across the nation were doing the same.
    As the crowd gathered around a stage in front of Bergendoff, lively chatter filled the air. A moment of silence was announced and the voices dissolved into lowered heads and folded hands. The bells from Old Main rang 17 times. Each bell pounding the air like a bullet into a body. Students of all ages, staff and faculty alike remained silent in honor of the 17 victims at Parkland, Florida.
    Pastor Prigge took the stage for prayer where he asked God to “make us into peacemakers, not just into peace lovers.” It was this prayer that laid down the foundation for the event’s focus on acknowledgement, reflection and engagement. The event was meant to encourage discussion and action of students and faculty in the next primary elections on March 20th.
    “Gun violence is something that has been plaguing America for years […] but I’m glad to see that change is coming and it is the youth that lead the way,” Ethan Conley-Keck, a junior, said.
    Senior Kumail Hussain, Student Government Association (SGA) tresurer, said, “we may have different ways of going about what actions to take, but it begins with conversation, and it begins with us.” He thanked the students and faculty who participated in the walkout. Around the crowd, there were tables to sign up for voting at the primary elections, to ask questions about candidates, and to contact a representative.
    Rosa Wilson and Marvin Wells, president and vice president of Communication Workers of America (CWA) from Iowa attended the event.
    Wilson and Rosa emphasized the need to be involved in the government and vote for leaders who will protect people.
    As the crowd faded, some stopped to look at pictures of the victims’ faces, each with a brief description of their life’s passions that were ended abruptly. Many believe that similar situations can be prevented by engaging citizens in politics and voting, reflecting the main goal of the event: engagement.
    To set up the walkout, a small group of faculty members reached out to SGA. Student leaders had already started to think about organizing an event, so they joined energies to get the planning started. It was Provost Gail Summer’s idea to ring the Old Main bell tower. Professors Umme Al-Wazedi, Adam Kaul, Sangeetha Rayapati, Carrie Hough, Michael Schroeder, Jennifer Popple, Mike Egan, and Kirsten Day were among the faculty members who put together the event.