SGA looks to increase campus involvement

SGA executive board members Kevin Seelander, Jackie Jastrzebski, David Sommers, Charlie Bentley, and Sam DeForest-Davis pose in the Brew. Photo by Ryan Jenkins.

The SGA discussed a few plans of their own for Augustana during Thursday’s SGA meeting.

Because there were no reports or contingencies, the meeting was substantially shorter than most others. Instead, the senators and their committees made quick reports about their situation.

The first report from the Treasurer Kevin Selander was to remind the senators to be meeting with their student organizations, that, “[the SGA] has $19,777 to allocate for the rest of the year.”

This is a large portion of money the SGA was given. After the March 31 meeting, when asked about the amount why there was so much left, President Sommers explained that this was financial security for SGA.

Some members reported that they would be meeting with the Delta Chi Theta sorority this Wednesday to get involved with their mental health awareness event.

The event is being planned as a walk for awareness, as well as a forum and other events.

The SGA also mentioned the table in the brew, where students are taking signatures to protest the loss of the MAP grants. They are asking students write to Governor Bruce Rauner to tell them what they think of the suspension of the MAP grants.

Another committee would be meeting with Dean Lawrence about a new campus suggestion box, as well as a discussion about trying to allow students to text ACES.

After hearing from all the SGA committees, the  meeting turned towards the Executive Board.

Vice President Jackie Jastrzebski reported that during the this election that just passed, 920 people voted, which was about 36% of campus.

Last year, the turnout was 32% of campus.

Discussing the higher turnout, Jastrzebski said, “You could chalk that up to having three tickets, which is still, I think, part of [the SGA’s] hard work for inspiring people to want to run. Make whatever you want about it.”

Jastrzebski continued on to the process of electing next years’ senators, and explained some small information about emails and the online voting process.

In David Sommers’ report, he mentioned that Relay for Life was looking for some help with leadership. The Executive Board had granted them $300 dollars in supplies to make PepsiCo have a certain feel and dynamic.

“They’re in a kind of desperate situation,” mentioned Sommers, “they might not have all the pieces put together yet.” He did clarify that, regardless, everything would work out.

Several senators offered to volunteer to help set up for the charity event.

He finished his report discussing the possibility of having a cookout, instead of handing out candy, during finals week. It would be an end of the year event in the lower quad.

After quick agreement on the end-of-the-year cookout, the meeting was adjourned.