Enke’s determined work ethic earns him postgraduate scholarship

Senior linebacker Thomas Enke was recently awarded the NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.
Augustana senior linebacker Thomas Enke’s dedication and hard work in the classroom and on the field have paid major dividends; 7,500 dollars to be exact.
Enke was recently awarded an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship, which honors “student-athletes who excel academically and athletically and who are in their final year of intercollegiate athletics competition”.
“It was a gratifying and rewarding experience to receive this award,” said Enke. “It took a lot of dedication and hard work to push myself and make sure that I got my work done every day.”
The senior biochemistry major holds an exceptional 3.99 GPA. Next fall, Enke will be attending the University of Nebraska Medical School. He explained how ambitions of medical school kept him focused on his academics.
“Coming into college, I was always set on going to medical school,” said Enke. “So I think that was a driving force that kept me going and staying on top of my school work.”
However, the commitment to being a student-athlete was not always easy for Enke.
“It was a struggle to manage the two (academics and athletics),” said Enke. “There were times where my friends would be hanging out doing fun things and I’m sitting in the library working on homework; I had to make some sacrifices.”
Augustana sports information director Dave Wrath wasn’t surprised that Enke was honored, giving praise to the first team Academic All-American.
“Tommy is a goal oriented young man who understands the task at hand and has a plan to get it done,” said Wrath. “What separates Tommy is his determination and ability to stick with things even when they don’t go the way he’d necessarily want.”
Enke’s work in the classroom was never a concern, but for his first three seasons on the gridiron, this award never seemed attainable. Until the third game of his senior season, where he earned his first career varsity start and never looked back.
“When he got his chance and the door opened, he kicked that sucker down,” said Wrath. “The coaches had no choice but to keep him in the lineup.”
During homecoming weekend this season against Wheaton, Enke broke out for the best game of his career recording seven total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks.
“When I got my opportunity, I made the most of the chances I had,” said Enke. “It felt great to have a significant impact on the team.”

enke
Senior linebacker Thomas Enke was recently awarded an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.

Enke finished his senior campaign by earning second team All-Conference as the Viking’s seventh leading tackler, while also forcing one fumble and recovering another. He spoke about how his experiences on the field helped him in the science building.
“I think football helped me improve my school work because it’s about dedicating yourself and making the sacrifices in order to succeed,” said Enke. “Whether it’s football or academics, it takes certain sacrifices and a work ethic to be successful.”
Enke became Augustana’s 33rd student-athlete and 12th football player to receive the prestigious award.
“[Augustana] is an institution that values both ends of the hyphenated word student-athlete,” said Wrath. “We value the student side just as much as we value the athlete side. A young man like Tommy flourishes in this role.”