Students facilitate children’s camp for local families affected by cancer

Senior Natali Bode creates crafts that will be used during Camp Kesem in July. Camp Kesem set this year’s camp dates from July 19-25. Last summer, Augustana’s camp hosted 83 campers, and they are hoping to increase that number to 115 this year. Augustana’s Camp Kesem chapter, the smallest of the 62 chapters in the nation, was founded in 2011 and has been growing steadily every year. Photo by Madison Rodgers.

Senior Natali Bode creates crafts that will be used during Camp Kesem in July. Camp Kesem set this year’s camp dates from July 19-25. Last summer, Augustana’s camp hosted 83 campers, and they are hoping to increase that number to 115 this year. Augustana’s Camp Kesem chapter, the smallest of the 62 chapters in the nation, was founded in 2011 and has been growing steadily every year.  Photo by Madison Rodgers.
Senior Natali Bode creates crafts that will be used during Camp Kesem in July. Camp Kesem set this year’s camp dates from July 19-25. Last summer, Augustana’s camp hosted 83 campers, and they are hoping to increase that number to 115 this year. Augustana’s Camp Kesem chapter, the smallest of the 62 chapters in the nation, was founded in 2011 and has been growing steadily every year.
Photo by Madison Rodgers.

Every year, 1.7 million people are diagnosed with cancer, according to CampKesem.org. It is easy to think of those directly impacted by the illness, but few think about the three million children affected simply because their parents have it, said Michelle Johnson, the operations director for Augustana’s chapter of Camp Kesem.
Camp Kesem is a summer camp that focuses on this ignored population of children.
The children of cancer patients are often overlooked because their parents are the ones being looked after.
Camp Kesem makes sure to give these children a place to be the center of attention, said Johnson.
This program was originally founded at Stanford in 2000 by Iris Rave. She named it Camp Kesem because Kesem means “magic” in Hebrew.
The goal of the program was to bring “magic” to the families struggling with the illness.
Camp Kesem allows any race, religion, or ethnicity to partake in the camp. It is for emotional and mental strength of the campers, according to Camp Kesem’s website.
Although the program mainly focuses on the children, it has also empowered college students all over the country to be proactive about making a difference in people’s lives.
Augustana’s chapter of Camp Kesem consists of students from each class, and many students that are involved in other campus activities.
Each camp counselor must go through a specific number of hours in order to go to camp. They are trained in things such as bullying and homesickness.
The camp is for kids from six to 16, but the chapter is hoping to extend the age limit.
“Most of the kids are returning members or family members of children that have already attended camp,” said Johnson.
She joined Camp Kesem as a first-year with the hopes of interacting with children on a deeper level.
During the camp, set to be July 19-25, kids are able to swim, perform archery, and zip line while seeing special guests, such as a magician.
“Camp Kesem allows the kids to be kids. It brings a sense of community to these children, who may not have this kind of attention at home,” Johnson said.
There are 62 Camp Kesem chapters throughout the United States.
Out of these 62 chapters, Augustana is the smallest.
Last summer the camp hosted 83 campers. This summer, they are hoping to host 115.
“The chapter was founded in 2011, and we have grown each year since then,” sophomore Elise Lyon said.
Lyon is the co-director of Camp Kesem’s largest fundraising event “Make the Magic.”
This event is a benefit dinner. All of the proceeds will go to hosting these campers.
“This fundraiser allows for members of the community to get involved and really make a difference in these children’s lives,” Lyon said. “ It costs approximately $75,000 to host 115 campers, so this fundraiser really allows us to raise money so we are able to host as many campers as we can.”
Alex Putz, co-director of the “Make the Magic” event, encourages people to come out and support such a great cause.
“There are many large things being auctioned such as Blackhawks tickets and a skydiving excursion,” Putz said. “It will be a great night for everyone.”
The third annual “Make the Magic” event will be held at Abbey Station on March 28.
The doors open at 4:30 p.m. and dinner will be served at 5.
Camp Kesem has been actively striving to make a difference, not only in the Augustana community, but in the lives of children everywhere.
They hope that no child will ever have to feel alone, and no parent will have to feel guilty about an illness, said Johnson.