Top five first date locations in the QC area

Dead Poet’s Espresso, a local coffeehouse located at 1525 3rd Ave in downtown Moline, IL, serves up fresh brews, warm breakfasts and lunches daily. Open 6:30 am to 4 pm Monday through Saturday, Dead Poet’s Espresso is a popular and tasty choice for a local Fall date with your significant other.

Fall has clearly begun and with it cuffing season. If you are unfamiliar with this term, cuffing season is a pop culture term for the period between fall and winter when people start seriously looking for someone to spend the winter months. To help students with this endeavor, the Augustana Observer has put together a list of 5 interesting places to go on a first date in the Quad Cities community.

5. North Park Mall, Davenport

Even if you are not a fan of shopping, the North Park Mall is definitely a place worth checking out on a first date. The mall is huge and there is something for everyone there. If you go there on a first date, consider stopping at Build-A-Bear Workshop to make a cute fuzzy friend that may signify the start of a happy relationship.

After that, take a walk to Whitey’s Ice Cream (a place that is near and dear to a lot of us) which is basically next-door. If ice cream is not your favorite and you are looking for a sweet treat, they also have a Great American Cookie Co. and a shop for bubble tea. The mall is a perfect place to walk around and get to know a potential special someone.

4. QC Entertainment, Moline

If you are looking for a more exciting, fast paced, and active first date location, QC Entertainment is for you. QC Entertainment is a great location if you and your date are competitive. They have 24 lanes for bowling if you want something a little more casual and a two story laser tag arena if you are looking for something more active and competitive. You can conveniently pay by the game or hourly. If physical activity is not for you they have several video games available to play. In addition to the activities at QC Entertainment, inside is Frankie’s Sports Bar and Grill. After a battle of laser tag, go inside to catch the game and share a pizza.

3. Dead Poet’s Espresso LTD, Moline

Intense games of laser tag and bowling are not for everyone. If you and your date are looking for a more relaxed location to get to know each other, Dead Poet’s Espresso is a great location. The coffee shop first date seems so overdone today, but nothing beats sitting down with a nice beverage and getting to know someone. Also, coffee shop dates are so flexible when it comes to scheduling. Dead Poet’s Espresso has several coffee and non-coffee drinks, and they also serve breakfast, lunch and many pastries for reasonable prices. Along with their extensive menu, the atmosphere of the coffee shop is what really makes it a great spot. The interior is decorated in a way that makes the coffee shop inviting, comfortable and overall appealing to anyone.

2. The Figge Art Museum, Davenport

The Figge Art Museum has much to do, especially for a first date. Art means something different to everyone, and what better way to get to know another person than asking how they feel about a piece of art? It makes the conversation less awkward. The Figge’s extensive permanent collection of works and their traveling exhibits leave plenty to discuss. After viewing the art, you can stop for a quick bite to eat at the Figge Cafe. The Figge Cafe serves a variety of sandwiches, salads, and soups. They also have a gift shop you can visit on your way out. Perhaps the best part of going to the Figge Art Museum as a first date is the fact Augustana students can get in for free. Every aspect of visiting the Figge for a first date is a win.

1.Shows and Events on Campus

Because a lot of us here on campus are poor and car-less, the perfect first date can lie within our own campus! For example, the comedy improv club Heywire often holds shows in Bergendoff’s Potter Hall. If you find yourself unable to get off campus with a special someone, go enjoy some comedy! Discuss what was funny from the show afterwards! It beats the awkward getting to know you talk.  If comedy is not for you or your date, the OSL hosts movie nights in the Olin Auditorium.