Augustana welcomes more than 800 new students

Sophomores Micah Martin (left), Abbigial Ward (right) and Junior Ryan Ganson (center) help move in first years in Westerlin Hall on Aug. 17.

Campus was bustling this morning as incoming students began moving in. Approximately 750 first-year students and nearly 60 transfer students comprise of this year’s class, Augustana’s largest to date. According to the office of admissions, this includes about 100 international students representing 24 countries, 55 children of alumni and 237 first-generation college students.
The students begin their college experience with a weekend of orientation activities, including the opening convocation, the traditional photo of the human “Augie A,” the student activities fair and other Welcome Week activities.
International students arrived a week earlier for an introduction to American culture, the Quad Cities and Augustana’s campus. The international enrollment at Augustana has increased from 3% in 2013 to 8% in 2017. The college expects to meet its strategic enrollment goal of 10% international students by the end of 2018.

Provided by Office of Admissions, July 2017.

“Whether they are the first in their families to enroll in college or they were raised by academics, and whether they arrive from just across the river or the other side the world, life as an Augustana student will be new to each one,” said Steve Bahls, president of the college. “And each one has something unique to offer our college community.”
Renovations to Augustana’s largest residence center Westerlin Hall will be completed in time for this large class. The three-year, $13 million renovation will gave the hall a new roof and windows, a fire protection system and air conditioning, among other improvements. Future dormitory improvements will take place after renovations to academic buildings such as Hanson and Bergendoff.
“Everyone is aware that Andreen and Seminary could use an upgrade. The college’s leadership has to take a big picture approach and make challenging priority decisions,” said Chris Beyer, Augustana’s director of residential life. “I’m hopeful that Seminary and Andreen will be a part of the discussion after the Hanson and Bergendoff projects are complete.”
All incoming first-year students have been assigned to Westerlin, Andreen and Seminary Hall. Temporary rooms have been made in each dormitory through the use of the lounges to accommodate everyone. Upper class transfer and international students also were assigned to transitional living area (TLA) housing.
“The Office of Residential Life is excited to welcome such a large and diverse group of students to campus this fall,” Beyer said. “Our goal is to make sure that every student feels that this campus is their home. We have a great team of community advisors who have been on campus since the beginning of August to prepare for the arrival of our newest class of Vikings.”